Walk with Ease – Self-Directed
About the Program:
Walk With Ease (WWE) self-directed combines self-paced walks with information about health-related topics.
- It is an individual program that allows participants to work on their own at their own pace to increase their physical activity.
- The workbook is also available in Spanish for Spanish speaking adults.
Walk With Ease-self-directed aims to:
- Improve balance and strength.
- Improve arthritis symptoms.
- Increase strength.
- Increase walking pace.
- Improve confidence in one’s ability to manage arthritis symptoms.
- Adults with arthritis.
- Older adults.
- Adults living in areas with little or no access to arthritis programs, including adults in rural areas.
- Participants read the guidebook to learn about arthritis and ways to be physically active with arthritis.
- Walk at their own speed and distance. Participants are encouraged to spend 10 to 40 minutes walking per session.
Setting: Self-directed, individual.
Suggested Class Size: Not applicable.
Duration: The self-directed course runs for six weeks. Participants are encouraged to walk three times a week. Each workbook lesson lasts about 30 minutes and each walk at a self-directed distance and speed.
- Participant Cost: Between $5 (if bought in bulk) and $11.95 for the participant guidebook.
- Leader/ Host Costs: Not applicable.
- A WWE guidebook (available in English and Spanish).
- A safe place to walk. This can be an indoor track, shopping mall, neighborhood, or walking trail.
- Shoes that are safe for walking.
For more information, go to the Arthritis Foundation’s Walk With Ease pageexternal icon.