Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program (AFEP)
About the program: The Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program (AFEP) is a low-impact recreational exercise program that incorporates a brief educational component.
AFEP is offered in some YMCAs and by other community organizations.
- Functional ability
- Muscle strength
Target Audience: Adults with arthritis of all activity levels
- Multiple exercise activities, including: joint check/warm-up, range of motion/stretching, strengthening, cardiovascular endurance, and joint check/cool down
- There are also balance and coordination activities.
- Each class also includes a health education component from the program formally known as PACE- People with Arthritis Can Exercise
- The class also has relaxation and breathing activities
- Instructors have the option to include weight-bearing, posture/body mechanics, body awareness, and socialization activities.
Setting: Community/ Group-based workshop
Suggested class size: Small groups of no more than 20 people
Duration: The class meets for one hour, two to three times a week. Although developed as an 8 to 12 week program, it can be extended to include ongoing classes.
- Participant costs: Varies
- Leader/ Host Costs:
- Training fees range from $199 to $129. Learn more about becoming an AFEP leader.
- Participant manuals for each participant are $2.30 per person.
- Other materials for participants as needed
- Note: The Aquatic Exercise Association offers trainings for both the Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program and the Arthritis Foundation Aquatic Program or just the exercise program.
- One AF certified instructor per class
- The instructor must be educated or certified in exercise, fitness, or other health-related field.
- The instructor must have CPR certification.
- The program must take place in an AF approved facility.
- The class takes place in a community room with sturdy chairs and enough space for exercise.
- Each class uses equipment, including: weights, resistance bands, balls, music and/or relaxation recordings, and exercise mats. Instructors can use as much or as little equipment as they would like.
- Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program
- Find a program near you, go to the Arthritis Foundation resource finder.
- AFEP—Information for Healthcare Providers [PDF – 460KB]