About the program: EnhanceFitness® is an ongoing group program that includes arthritis-appropriate exercises. Participants can join or quit at any time. EnhanceFitness® partners with YMCA clubs across the United States to offer the program for free to members of the YMCA.
EnhanceFitness uses exercise to:
- Increase strength.
- Improve flexibility and balance.
- Boost activity levels.
- Elevate mood.
- Adults with arthritis.
- Older adults.
- Any adult who is interested in increasing their physical activity level.
- One hour exercise class consisting of a 5-minute warm-up, 20-minute aerobic workout, 20 minute strength training, 10-minute stretching workout, and 5-minute cool-down.
- There are balance exercises throughout the class.
Setting: Community/ Group-based workshop.
Suggested class size: Between 10 and 25 participants.
Duration: Each class is an hour long and offered three times a week.
- Participant: Cost varies. Many locations offer the program with for free with membership to the Y.
- Leader/ Host Costs:
- Licensing for the host site at $3,000 for the first year and $500 for each additional program site. License renewal costs are $50 per site. Sites also have to pay a $200 data entry fee per user, per year. Learn more about Enhance Fitnessexternal icon.
- Equipment, a one-time expense estimated at about $800.
- One instructor per class with a nationally recognized Fitness Instructor Certification and CPR certification. Enhance Fitness® recommends a trainer who has experience working with older adults or adults with activity limitations. The instructor must have training by an Enhance Fitness® Master Trainer.
- A license from Enhance Fitness® for the host site or organization.
- A non-carpeted space with room for sitting and standing exercises. The space must be accessible for adults with disabilities, per the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Equipment: Armless chairs, adjustable resistance soft wrist and ankle weights, music player, stop watch, tape measure, and a cone (can also use a garbage can or large bottle)
- EnhanceFitness®external icon
- EF—Information for Health Care Providers pdf icon[PDF – 490KB]external icon
- EF—Information for Patients [PDF – 423KB]external icon
- Find a program in your area on the Evidence-Based Leadership Council’s Map of Programsexternal icon.