Walk with Ease (WWE)–Group
About the program:
- Walk With Ease (WWE) is a group program that combines self-paced walks with discussions about health-related topics.
- Note: The program is also available in Spanish for Spanish speaking adults.
Walk With Ease aims to:
- Improve balance and strength.
- Improve arthritis symptoms.
- Increase strength.
- Increase walking pace.
- Improve confidence in one’s ability to manage arthritis symptoms.
- Adults with arthritis.
- Older adults.
- Review guidebook.
- Group education and discussion about arthritis and health behaviors.
- Group walks at their own pace and for the distance of their choosing. Participants spend 10 to 40 minutes walking.
Setting: Community/ Group-based workshop.
Suggested Class Size: Groups can be any size, but the Arthritis Foundation (AF) recommends no more than 15 participants per leader.
Duration: Participants meet three times a week for six weeks. Each session is about 60 minutes.
- Participant cost: Between $5 (if bought in bulk) and $11.95 to cover the participant guidebook.
- Leader/ Host Costs:
- $89 for leader training and certificationexternal icon.
- No licensing costs for the host site.
- At least one group leader with Arthritis Foundation WWE certificationexternal icon. The Athletics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) offers the WWE certification for $89. The Arthritis Foundation recommends that the group leader be first aid certified.
- One leader for every 12 to 15 participants.
- A safe and accessible place to walk. This can be an indoor track, mall, neighborhood, or walking trail.
- WWE guidebook (available in English and Spanish).
- Each participant needs shoes that are safe for walking.