Better Choices, Better Health
About the program: Better Choices, Better Health® (BCBH) is an internet-based group workshop that uses content from the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program. It focuses on chronic disease management, decision making, problem-solving, and action-planning.
- Physical and psychosocial well-being.
- Knowledge of ways to manage chronic conditions.
- Motivation to manage chronic diseases and associated challenges.
- Adults with arthritis
- Adults with other chronic diseases.
- Older adults.
- Adults living in rural areas, who are homebound, or who do not wish to participate in in-person group programs.
- Interactive educational activities like discussion and brainstorming.
- Action planning exercises and feedback, behavior modeling, relaxation techniques, and more.
- Participants can log-on when they choose, and set action plans each week.
- Participants also report on how well they are doing at following their action plans.
Setting: Online/Internet Based.
Suggested class size: The ideal class size is 20 or 25, but participants do not need to be online at the same time.
Duration: Each course is six weeks, and participants should log on two to three times a week.
- Participant costs: Between $185 and $275 per person.
- Leader/ Host Costs: None.
- Access to a computer with internet access.
- The workshop companion book Living a Healthy Life With Chronic Conditions, 4th Edition.
- For more information, visit the National Council on Aging’s Better Choices, Better Health websiteexternal icon.
- Find a program in your area on the Evidence-Based Leadership Council’s Map of Programsexternal icon.