Fit & Strong!
About the program: Fit & Strong! is a community-based, physical activity program. It uses flexibility and strength training, aerobic walking, and health education to promote behavior change in people with osteoarthritis.
The goals of Fit & Strong! are to:
- Improve exercise frequency.
- Reduce arthritis-related joint pain and stiffness.
- Increase strength.
- Improve confidence in ability to exercise.
- Adults with osteoarthritis (OA).
- Sedentary older adults with lower-extremity joint pain and/or stiffness.
- Adults with co-morbidities.
- Arthritis appropriate exercises.
- Health education on arthritis management.
Setting: Community/ Group-based workshop.
Suggested class size: Between 20 and 25 participants.
Duration: The class meets for 90 minutes, three times a week, for eight weeks. Participants spend 60 minutes on arthritis-appropriate exercises and 30 minutes on education about arthritis management.
- Participant costs: Varies. Around $35 to cover costs of participant manuals.
- Leader/ Host Costs:
- License at $2,000 for the main site and $400 for the each satellite site for the first year or $1,000 if only offered at one site. Renewal costs are $200 per site if offered at multiple sites or $100 if only offered at one site. Learn more about program costsexternal icon.
- Training is included in licensing costs.
- One-time materials and equipment cost at about $1,985.
- Manuals for each participant at $35 each.
- One program leader. The leader can be either a certificated exercise instructor, licensed physical therapist, occupational therapist, or a student under supervision of a physical or occupational therapist.
- Leaders must participate in a one day certification training taught by a Fit & Strong! master trainer. Learn more about the training and certification processexternal icon.
- A license for the host site.
- A large open space for walking, room for chairs for each participant, and storage space for equipment.
- Equipment including exercise bands, 10lb ankle weights, chairs, floor mats, a CD or tape player, and participant manuals.
Learn more about Fit & Strong!:
- Fit & Strong! websiteexternal icon
- Fit & Strong!—Information for Health Care Providers pdf icon[PDF – 477KB]external icon
- Fit & Strong!—Information for Patients [PDF – 448KB]external icon
- Find a program in your area on the Evidence-Based Leadership Council’s Map of Programsexternal icon.