National Vital Statistics System
The National Vital Statistics System is the oldest and most successful example of inter-governmental data sharing in Public Health and the shared relationships, standards, and procedures form the mechanism by which NCHS collects and disseminates the Nation’s official vital statistics. These data are provided through contracts between NCHS and vital registration systems operated in the various jurisdictions legally responsible for the registration of vital events – births, deaths, marriages, divorces, and fetal deaths.
Need a birth, death, marriage, or divorce certificate? Use our state and territory specific information to find out where to write.
e-Vital Standards Initiatives
- Births: Provisional Data for 2016 [PDF – 798 KB] (06/30/2017)
- Quarterly Provisional Estimates for Selected Indicators of Mortality, 2015–Quarter 4, 2016 (05/17/2017)
- Quarterly Provisional Estimates for Selected Birth Indicators, 2015–Quarter 4, 2016 (05/17/2017)
- Quarterly Provisional Estimates of Infant Mortality, 2014–Quarter 2, 2016 (05/17/2017)
- United States Life Tables, 2013 [PDF – 1.79 MB] (04/11/2017)
- Page last reviewed: June 30, 2017
- Page last updated: June 30, 2017
- Content source: