Healthy eating starts at the grocery store. But successful shopping isn’t always as simple as it seems. Your goal? To get the best deals on the healthiest, tastiest food. Use a shopping list to help you stay focused on buying foods that fit your meal plan and budget.
Tips to set you up for success:
- Plan a week’s worth of meals before you go grocery shopping.
- Check what you already have on hand so you don’t buy what you don’t need.
- Make a shopping list based on your weekly meal plan. Organize your list by store section for quick and easy shopping.
- You know this one: don’t shop hungry so you’re not tempted to buy foods that aren’t on your shopping list.
- Shop the outside aisles for fresh fruit, vegetables, dairy or dairy alternatives, meat, fish, poultry, and eggs.
- Shop the inside aisles for healthy options such as beans, lentils, flavored vinegars, spices, tuna fish, olive oil, and frozen fruit and vegetables (without sauce).
- Be wary of food claims like “lower in fat” or “reduced sugar”; it may still not be a healthy choice. Read the Nutrition Facts label to understand what the food contains.