By increasing access to evidence-based lifestyle change programs and diabetes self-management education and support (DSMES) services, insurers can help save lives and save money.
Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes
More than 37 million Americans have diabetes, and another 96 million American adults have prediabetes. These are growing concerns for America’s workforce, affecting the health and quality of life of millions of US adults. These conditions also cost employers and insurers billions of dollars each year in lost productivity and medical expenses.
The National Diabetes Prevention Program (National DPP) is a partnership of public and private organizations working to build a nationwide delivery system for a lifestyle change program proven to prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes in adults with prediabetes.
- Learn about this evidence-based program.
- Find out how insurers can participate in the National DPP.
The National DPP Coverage Toolkit can help state Medicaid agencies, Medicaid managed-care organizations, commercial health plans, and employers understand the details of offering the National DPP lifestyle change program as a covered benefit for their beneficiaries/members/employees at high risk for type 2 diabetes.
Diabetes self-management education and support (DSMES) helps people manage diabetes by teaching practical skills and personalized strategies to improve health outcomes. DSMES can lead to lower A1C levels, fewer diabetes complications, and lower costs. Preventing or delaying diabetes complications also saves money for insurers.
- Discover CDC’s DSMES website for health care providers to learn when and how people with diabetes can benefit from participating.
- Diabetes Self-management Education and Support in Adults With Type 2 Diabetes: A Consensus Report of the American Diabetes Association, the Association of Diabetes Care & Education Specialists, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the American Academy of Family Physicians, the American Academy of PAs, the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, and the American Pharmacists Association. This article outlines the benefits of DSMES, defines four critical times to deliver DSMES, proposes how to locate DSMES-related resources, and discusses potential solutions to access and utilization barriers.
- The DSMES Toolkit is a comprehensive collection of tools and resources for promoting, implementing, and supporting DSMES. Learn about DSMES coverage, reimbursement, and benefits.