Community-based Organizations (CBOs)
Community-based organizations (CBOs), faith-based organizations (FBOs), community health workers (CHWs), and other community groups can take an active role in helping people at risk for type 2 diabetes, people with diabetes, and their families build healthier lives and reduce their risk.
Help Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
Prediabetes can lead to type 2 diabetes and also increases risk for heart attack and stroke, but it doesn’t have to. You can help people take steps to reverse prediabetes or slow the onset of type 2 diabetes.
CBOs can offer, or help people in their community enroll, in the National Diabetes Prevention Program (National DPP) lifestyle change program, which is proven to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
- Learn about this evidence-based program.
- Find out how your organization can offer the National DPP lifestyle change program to prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Already implementing a program? Find resources and support at National DPP Customer Service Center.
CBOs play an important role in helping people with diabetes take steps to lower their blood sugar and manage their condition.
Diabetes self-management education and support (DSMES) services empower people to reach their daily and lifetime goals for living well with diabetes. CBOs can offer DSMES by becoming recognized by the American Diabetes Associationexternal icon or accredited by the Association of Diabetes Care and Educators Specialistsexternal icon or can help people in their communities find these services.
- Learn about the DSMES Toolkit
Resources and tools to assist with the development, promotion, implementation, and sustainability of DSMES services.
- Encourage people with diabetes to visit these websites to find DSMES services recognized by the American Diabetes Associationexternal icon or accredited by the Association of Diabetes Care and Education Specialistsexternal icon. Make sure your individual services and/or your organization’s services are listed.
CDC offers webinars and online learning modules to help you support people at risk for developing type 2 diabetes or those who already have diabetes.
- Find CDC webinars and podcasts offering continuing education credits on diabetes topics.
- Faith Leaders Toolkit: Diabetes Prevention and Management
Learn how to reach and inspire people in faith communities and motivate them to take steps toward healthful living.
- Fotonovela: Do it for them! But for you too. (¡Hazlo por ellos! Pero por ti también.) pdf icon[PDF – 23 MB]
This bilingual fotonovela (illustrated novel) features dramatic stories of Latinas talking to Latinas about preventing or delaying type 2 diabetes and being healthy for their children and themselves.
Use the how-to guide to plan and evaluate your use of the fotonovela.
English pdf icon[PDF – 6 MB] | Spanish pdf icon[PDF – 6 MB]
- Community Health Worker Forum: Engaging Community Health Workers in the Development of a Statewide Infrastructure for Sustainability
Meeting with Community Health Workers (CHWs), CHW allies, and state health department representatives to explore issues related to developing a statewide infrastructure to promote long-term sustainability and financing of CHWs.