Emerging Infectious Diseases Journal Features CDC & Partners’ Global COVID-19 Response
Leveraging Decades of Global Partnerships
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, people around the world have experienced firsthand how a health threat anywhere becomes a health threat everywhere.
By leveraging longstanding partnerships and adapting existing programs and public health infrastructure, CDC and partners supported countries’ efforts to limit the spread and impact of COVID-19 and increase vaccinations to prevent further infections, serious illness, and death.
Forty articles collected in a special supplement of CDC’s Emerging Infectious Diseases (EID) journal document these efforts and provide insights and lessons learned for the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic response as well as future pandemics, outbreaks, or emergencies.
Taken together, the compilation of studies documents CDC and partners’ response in the early phase of the pandemic and highlights the value of CDC’s longstanding partnerships and investments in global surveillance systems, disease detection, laboratory networks, emergency management, and a well-trained workforce.
Listen to the EID COVID-19 Podcast
STORIES and VIDEOS
CDC Director Dr. Rochelle P. Walensky highlights how, through an unprecedented investment of resources and ongoing collaboration and partnerships, CDC worked hand-in-hand with countries to provide lifesaving COVID-19 health and humanitarian assistance, train healthcare workers, and strengthen critical health capabilities during the pandemic.
The compilation of studies and commentaries published in the peer-reviewed public health journal Emerging Infectious Diseases describes how CDC partnered with countries to adapt existing programs to track COVID-19 cases, expand established laboratory systems for SARS-CoV-2 testing, and launch COVID-19 vaccination programs.
Explore a collection of materials that give voice, sight, and sound to the work of CDC staff based in countries around the world. Read stories, hear how health experts benefitted from CDC’s support, and see videos and photos that capture how CDC country offices, ministries of health, governments, health officials, and global partners worked together to respond to COVID-19.
Emerging Infectious Diseases Supplement: Leveraging and Adapting Global Health Systems and Programs During the COVID-19 Pandemic
SURVEILLANCE, INFORMATION, AND LABORATORY SYSTEMS
- Lessons Learned from CDC’s Global COVID-19 Early Warning and Response Surveillance System
- Enhancing Respiratory Disease Surveillance to Detect COVID-19 in Shelters for Displaced Persons, Thailand-Myanmar Border, 2020-2021
- Leveraging International Influenza Surveillance Systems and Programs During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Incorporating COVID-19 into Acute Febrile Illness Surveillance Systems, Belize, Kenya, Ethiopia, Peru, and Liberia, 2020-2021
- Extending and Strengthening Routine DHIS2 Surveillance Systems for COVID-19 Responses in Sierra Leone, Sri Lanka, and Uganda
- Leveraging PEPFAR-Supported Health Information Systems for COVID-19 Pandemic Response
- Contribution of PEPFAR-Supported HIV and TB Molecular Diagnostic Networks to COVID-19 testing Preparedness in 16 Countries
- A Nationally Representative Survey of COVID-19 in Pakistan, 2021-2022
- SARS-CoV-2 Prevalence in Malawi Based on Data from Survey of Communities and Health Workers in 5 High-Burden Districts, October 2020
- Determining Gaps in Publicly Shared SARS-CoV-2 Genomic Surveillance Data by Analysis of Global Submissions
- Comparison of COVID-19 Pandemic Waves in 10 countries in Southern Africa, 2020-2021
- Using Population Mobility Patterns to Adapt COVID-19 Response Strategies in 3 East Africa Countries
- Community-Based Surveillance and Geographic Information System-Linked Contact Tracing in COVID-19 Case Identification, Ghana, March-June 2020
- The Future of Infodemic Surveillance as Public Health Surveillance
WORKFORCE, INSTITUTIONAL, AND PUBLIC HEALTH CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT
- Continuing Contributions of Field Epidemiology Training Programs to Global COVID-19 Response
- India Field Epidemiology Training Program Response to COVID-19 pandemic, 2020-2021
- COVID-19 Response Roles among International Public Health Emergency Management Fellowship Graduates
- Exploratory Literature Review of the Role of National Public Health Institutes in COVID-19 Response
- Adapting Longstanding Public Health Collaborations between Government of Kenya and CDC Kenya in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, 2020-2021
- Effect of Nigeria Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 Pandemic, Nigeria
- Use of Epidemiology Surge Support to Enhance Robustness and Expand Capacity of SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic Response, South Africa
- Building on Capacity Established through US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Global Health Programs to Respond to COVID-19, Cameroon Listen now: COVID-19 Podcast with lead author, CDC’s Dr. Emily Kainne Dokubo
- Use of Project ECHO in Response to COVID-19 in Countries Supported by the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief
- Faith Community Engagement to Mitigate COVID-19 Transmission Associated with Mass Gathering, Uman, Ukraine, September 2021
CLINICAL AND HEALTH SERVICES DELIVERY AND IMPACT
- Effects of COVID-19 on Vaccine-Preventable Disease Surveillance Systems in the World Health Organization African Region, 2020
- CDC’s COVID-19 International Vaccine Implementation and Evaluation Program and Lessons from Earlier Vaccine Introductions
- Effects of Decreased Immunization Coverage for Hepatitis B Virus Caused by COVID-19 in World Health Organization Western Pacific and African Regions, 2020
- Past as Prologue —Rubella Vaccination Program Lessons May Inform COVID-19 Vaccination
- Leveraging Lessons Learned from Yellow Fever and Polio Immunization Campaigns during COVID-19 Pandemic, Ghana, 2021
- Effectiveness of Whole-Virus COVID-19 Vaccine among Healthcare Personnel, Lima, Peru
- Leveraging HIV Program and Civil Society to Accelerate COVID-19 Vaccine Uptake, Zambia
- Adopting World Health Organization Multimodal Infection Prevention and Control Strategies to Respond to COVID-19, Kenya
- Infection Prevention and Control Initiatives to Prevent Healthcare-Associated Transmission of SARS-CoV-2, East Africa
- Effect of COVID-1 Pandemic on Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision Services for HIV prevention, Sub-Saharan Africa, 2020
- Sexual Violence Trends before and after Rollout of COVID-19 Mitigation Measures, Kenya
- Clinical and Economic Impact of COVID-19 on Agricultural Workers, Guatemala
- Outcomes after Acute Malnutrition Program Adaptations to COVID-19, Uganda, Ethiopia, and Somalia