Five Reasons Why Calling a Quitline Can Be Key to Your Success
If you are thinking about quitting smoking and would like some help, a quitline might be just what you need to succeed. Quitlines provide free coaching—over the phone—to help you quit smoking.
- When you call 1-800-QUIT-NOW , you can speak confidentially with a highly trained quit coach.
- Quitlines provide many of the services and similar support you get in a stop-smoking class or from your doctor, and can be a valuable complement to your doctor’s care.
- Quitlines are available throughout the United States.
- Coaching help is available in several languages.
Quit coaches are trained to help smokers quit. They understand what you are going through. Many are former smokers themselves. They are all trained to be good listeners and to give callers encouragement, support, and helpful tips.
A quit coach will ask questions to find out what type of help you are interested in. They will also ask about your past experience with trying to quit smoking. This information helps them give useful suggestions on the type of program that could work best for you.
Quit coaches can help you connect with quit-smoking medications through your health insurer or community programs. They may also be able to provide you with these medications for free and may also be able to send an initial two-week supply to your home.
Learn more about Nicotine Replacement Therapy, such as the nicotine patch and gum, and how these medications can help you quit smoking.
- How to deal with cravings and withdrawal.
- How to get the right kind of help from your friends and family.
- What websites, apps, and texting programs might help you quit.
- Whether to use quit-smoking medication and how to use it.
Quitlines are proven to increase your chances of quitting successfully and staying quit. A quit coach will work with you to develop a plan that is personalized for your needs.
Want help on how to quit smoking? Call the quitline: 1-800-QUIT-NOW or visit How to Quit Smoking. Quitlines provide free and confidential coaching to help you become—and stay—smoke free. Calling a quitline might be just what you need to help you quit for good. Many thanks to the California Smokers’ Helpline for their participation in the creation of this video.