Treatment of Malaria
- Malaria is a medical emergency.
- Only a healthcare provider can diagnose and treat a patient for malaria.
- Prescription drugs, available in the U.S., can cure malaria.
See a healthcare provider if you are sick and are or have recently been in an area where malaria is widespread.
Starting treatment immediately is the best way to treat malaria and prevent serious and life-threatening issues. The type of drugs prescribed, and length of treatment depend on
- the type of malaria
- the geographic location where the infection likely happened (and likelihood of drug resistance)
- your age
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- how sick you are at the start of treatment
Patients in the U.S. are typically hospitalized for malaria treatment.
Healthcare providers can refer to the CDC Guidelines for Treatment of Malaria in the US for specific treatment information.