Building Confidence in COVID-19 Vaccines
Vaccinate with Confidence Strategy to Reinforce Confidence in COVID-19
What Is Vaccine Confidence?
Vaccine confidence is the trust that patients, their families, and providers have in:
- Recommended vaccines
- Providers who administer vaccines
- Processes and policies that lead to vaccine development, licensure or authorization, manufacturing, and recommendations for use
Many factors influence vaccine decision-making, including cultural, social, and political factors; individual and group factors; and vaccine-specific factors. However, confidence in the vaccines, the vaccinator, and the system all support the decision to get vaccinated.
Remind people that the goal is for everyone to be able to get a COVID-19 vaccination easily as soon as large quantities of vaccine are available. Then provide people with actions they can take before they get vaccinated when supply may be limited. Such as:
- Learn about the COVID-19 vaccines plans in your local area and make a vaccination plan for yourself or family members for when vaccine is offered.
- Learn more about the new COVID-19 vaccines and their benefits.
- Become a vaccine ambassador by sharing accurate and timely information about COVID-19 vaccines and information on local vaccination efforts with the people who need it most.
- Continue to take recommend actions to protect yourself and others from COVID-19.
Why Is It Important?
Most people in the United States are planning to get vaccinated with COVID-19 vaccines. But some may want more information about COVID-19 vaccines, including the process for developing and authorizing these vaccines and information about their safety and effectiveness. People may have previous experiences that affect their trust and confidence in the health system.
By taking time to listen to their concerns and answer their questions, we can help people become confident in their decision to be vaccinated. Also, when you decide to get vaccinated and share the reasons why you did, you can have a powerful influence on your family and community. Strong confidence in the vaccines within communities leads to more people getting vaccinated, which leads to fewer COVID-19 illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths.
Six Ways to Help Build COVID-19 Vaccine Confidence
- Encourage leaders in your family, community, or organizations to be vaccine champions.
- Have discussions with your friends and family about vaccination to understand their perspective and encourage their decision to vaccinate.
- Share key messages through multiple channels that people trust and that promote action.
- Help educate people about COVID-19 vaccines, how they are developed and monitored for safety, and how individuals can talk to others about the vaccines.
- Learn more about finding credible vaccine information. When you come across COVID-19 information, cross-check with CDC.gov and learn how to respond to misinformation you encounter.
- When vaccine is offered to you, make visible your decision to get vaccinated and celebrate it!
Resources to help you get started
How to Build Confidence in COVID-19 Vaccines: A Short Guide for Immunization Coordinators in Medical Centers and Clinicspdf icon
An informational guide with six strategies for immunization coordinators to build vaccine confidence within their health system or clinic.
Communication and Confidence Readiness Checklist (Appendix A)pdf icon: A checklist to assess the readiness of your facility to promote COVID-19 vaccine to healthcare personnel and patients, including links to corresponding CDC resources that you can tailor to the needs of your facility and the populations you serve.
The COVID-19 Vaccine Confidence Conversation Starter (Appendix B)pdf icon: A conversation starter guide to engage healthcare providers during an in-person or virtual meeting in order to identify tailored approaches to promote vaccine confidence within a facility.
Vaccinate with Confidence Strategypdf icon: CDC’s Vaccinate with Confidence strategy to reinforce confidence in COVID-19 vaccines.
Building Confidence in COVID-19 Vaccines Among Your Patients Tips for the Healthcare Teamppt icon (Slide Deck): This slide deck highlights the importance of increasing confidence in COVID-19 vaccines in healthcare workers, including tips and tricks for healthcare workers to increase vaccine confidence in their patients.
Rapid Community Assessment Guide: This guide is for staff of state and local health departments involved in various aspects of COVID-19 vaccine planning who wish to better understand their community’s needs regarding hesitancy and acceptance of COVID-19 vaccines.