Vaccinate with Confidence COVID-19 Vaccines Strategy
Share clear, complete, and accurate messages about COVID-19 vaccines and take visible actions to build trust in the vaccine, the vaccinator, and the system in coordination with federal, state, and local agencies and partners.
- Communicate transparently about the process for authorizingexternal icon, approving, making recommendations for, monitoring the safety of, distributingexternal icon, allocating, and administering COVID-19 vaccines, including data handling.
- Provide regular updates on: benefits, safety, side effects and effectiveness; clearly communicate what is not known.
- Proactively address and mitigate the spread and harm of misinformation via social media platforms, partners, and trusted messengers.
Promote confidence among healthcare personnel* in their decision to get vaccinated and to recommend vaccination to their patients.
- Engage national professional associations, health systems, and healthcare personnel often and early to ensure a clear understanding of the vaccine development and approval processesexternal icon, new vaccine technologies, and the benefits of vaccination.
- Ensure healthcare systems and medical practices are equipped to create a culture that builds confidence in COVID-19 vaccination.
- Strengthen the capacity of healthcare professionals to have empathetic vaccine conversations, address myths and common questions, provide tailored vaccine information to patients, and use motivational interviewing techniques when needed.
*Personnel = All staff working in healthcare settings, including physicians, PAs/NPs, nurses, allied health professionals, pharmacists, support staff, and community health workers.
Engage communities in a sustainable, equitable, and inclusive way—using two-way communication to listen, build trust, and increase collaboration.
- Empower vaccine recipients to share their personal stories and reasons for vaccination within their circles of influence.
- Work with health departments and national partners to engage communities around vaccine confidence and service delivery strategies, including adaptation of vaccination provider sites to meet community needs.
- Collaborate with trusted messengers—such as faith-based and community leaders—to tailor and share culturally relevant messages and materials with diverse communities.
Guide Companion Tool: Communications and Confidence Readiness Checklist (Appendix A)pdf icon
Guide Companion Tool: The COVID-19 Vaccine Confidence Conversation Starter (Appendix B)pdf icon