Host Site Application Process
Tips to enhance EIS host site applications:
- Propose full-time supervisors with the required experience
- Have available staff and resources to support the officer
- Describe a recent EIS officer’s (or other fellow’s) activities, projects, and publications
- Describe proposed projects for the new officer to include a surveillance evaluation project, data analysis project, and opportunities to work with public health partners
When a site applies, they are requesting to host an EIS officer who will begin their assignment the following August. The process differs for sites currently supervising an officer (current host sites) and sites without a current officer (new host sites).
The selection process for host sites is competitive and not all applicants will be selected. There are typically more host site positions than EIS officers, so approval to participate in the match process is not a guarantee of matching with an EIS officer.
Current Host Sites
The EIS program will send application instructions to current host sites in December. Applications must be submitted by the due date in January. EIS program staff review and notify sites whether they are approved to participate in the match process.
New Host Sites
New host sites must initiate the following steps 1 and 2 by September 30 to be eligible to participate in the following spring’s match process.
- Obtain internal consensus regarding their intention to become an EIS host site.
- Local health departments should check to see if their jurisdiction already hosts an EIS officer. Potential supervisors must discuss their intent to host an EIS officer with their state epidemiologist or other leadership.
- CDC headquarters supervisors should discuss their intent with their division and center leadership.
- Send an email to EISOSupport@cdc.gov to notify the EIS program of your interest in becoming a host site. A program staff member will reach out to set up an initial phone call.
The following steps occur between September 30 and January 27:
- Complete a draft host site application [211 KB, 7 Pages]. Applications must include the name, background, and contact information for primary and secondary supervisors who will be actively engaged in the day-to-day work activities of the officer. Applications should contain a broad range of opportunities to support and foster ongoing professional growth, development and attainment of competencies, and increase the officer’s job-related capabilities.
- Prepare for a site visit. Host site applicants that meet the minimum eligibility requirements will receive a virtual or in-person site visit by the EIS program. During the visit, EIS staff will assess the site’s supervisory capacity; ability to provide the officer with workspace and equipment; and capacity to provide project opportunities.
- Submit the application online. If your site is approved to recruit, instructions for submitting your application via the online portal will be sent in December. The host site application period opens in December and closes in January.