Prevent environmental causes of foodborne illnesses and outbreaks
Ensuring food safety in restaurants, banquet facilities, schools, and other institutions is important because
- More than half of all foodborne outbreaks in the United States are associated with restaurants, delis, banquet facilities, schools, and other institutions.
- Key restaurant practices affect transmission of norovirus and other causes of foodborne illness and outbreaks.
Explore findings and recommendations from our EHS-Net research on foods linked to outbreaks in restaurants and research on restaurant practices and more.
Practice skills in an interactive virtual environment and learn to conduct environmental assessments as part of outbreak investigations.
- From Inspector to Investigator: Finding the Factors that Lead to Foodborne Outbreaks (short training video)
- Adoption of Food Code Provisions Is Linked to Lower Rates of Foodborne Norovirus Outbreaks
- Can Restaurant Managers Talk with Sick Workers? Three Things Restaurant Managers Need to Know
- Traits of Successful Foodborne Outbreak Investigations
- Outbreak Rates and Restaurant Inspection Practices
- Restaurants and Food Safety Culture
- Retail Food Safety Regulatory Association Collaborative
- System Theory in Food Safety