Food Safety Resources
Address environmental causes of foodborne illnesses with our free food safety resources below. Join us in celebrating 20 years of restaurant food safety research.
Is your jurisdiction registered? Capture environmental assessment data from foodborne illness outbreaks to help prevent outbreaks associated with restaurants and other food venues. You can also explore NEARS publications, including plain language summaries.
- the importance of cooking chicken liver to 165°F.
- about contributing factors to outbreaks and how you can identify them during outbreak investigations.
- more about restaurant food safety and the importance of kitchen manager certification.
- how we help prevent foodborne illness outbreaks by understanding the environmental factors contributing to them.
Peruse our research findings and recommendations on restaurant food safety topics such as sick food workers, hand hygiene, and kitchen manager certification.
Find tools from funded health department partners working to reduce foodborne illness and outbreaks in their communities; for example, multilingual training materials for restaurants on how to prevent campylobacter.
Explore food safety modules in our other Environmental Health Training in Emergency Response (EHTER) and Environmental Public Health Online Courses (EPHOC)
- Estimates of Foodborne Illness in the United States
- Food Safety
- Food Safety Vital Signs
- National Outbreak Reporting System (NORS)
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- FDA Web-based Trainingexternal icon
- Food Codeexternal icon
- Guidelines for Foodborne Illness and Contaminantsexternal icon
- Retail and Food Service HACCPexternal icon
- Clean-Up and Disinfection Postersexternal icon for cookware, food-contact surfaces, temporary outdoor food booths, and more (Water Quality and Health Council with CDC and other partners)
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Serviceexternal icon
- Food Safety Credentialsexternal icon (National Environmental Health Association, NEHA)
- Food Safety Modernization Act Primers for State and Local Governmentsexternal icon (Network for Public Health Law)
- Guidelines for Foodborne Disease Outbreak Responseexternal icon (Council to Improve Foodborne Outbreak Response with CDC and other partners)
- Foodsafety.govexternal icon