Skip directly to search Skip directly to A to Z list Skip directly to navigation Skip directly to page options Skip directly to site content

CDC’s HIV Budget

On February 9, 2016, the President released the fiscal year (FY) 2017 budget request to Congress. It includes approximately
$788 million for domestic HIV/AIDS prevention and research at CDC, which is level with the FY 2016 enacted level.
This amount includes approximately:

  • $397 million for HIV prevention by health departments
  • $120 million for HIV surveillance
  • $103 million for activities to improve program effectiveness
  • $135 million for national, regional, local, community, and other organizations
  • $33 million for adolescent and school health

FY 2017 President’s Budget Request

FY 2017 President’s Budget Request: Domestic HIV/AIDS Prevention and Research, $789M, Viral Hepatitis, $39M. Sexually Transmitted Infections (SYIs), $157M, Tuberculosis (TB), $142M



 

HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STIs and TB Funding History

HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STIs, and TB Funding History: FY 2014 $1,118M, FY 2015 $1,118M, FY 2016 $1,122M, FY 2017 $1,127M request

HIV/AIDS Funding Reports

Domestic HIV/AIDS Prevention and Research FY 2016

The FY 2016 budget request includes an increase of $12.6 million for domestic HIV/AIDS prevention. Part of this increase, $6.3 million, will support efforts to better link persons diagnosed and living with HIV to appropriate care, examine how new biomedical interventions are being used, and facilitate the development of state-wide plans for prevention, care and treatment, and other supportive services. The remaining $6.3 million will be used to improve HIV prevention activities targeted to school-aged youth. HIV/AIDS prevention investments will continue to align activities with the National HIV/AIDS Strategy and promote high-impact prevention that focuses resources on effective, scalable, and sustainable prevention strategies. CDC will also help health department grantees leverage changes in the healthcare system by increasing their capacity to seek reimbursement for HIV preventive services that may be covered under health insurance policies.
 

Health Departments HIV Prevention Programs FY 2015

Comprehensive HIV Prevention Programs for Health Departments is one of CDC’s top ten domestic public health priorities. For FY 2015 CDC funded 61 Grantees with a total of $306,777,795 obligations. (See page 13 Office of Financial Resources’ (OFR) Annual Report for Fiscal Year 2015)


Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention Funding (DHAP) Allocations FY 2014

In FY 2014, CDC received $789 million for HIV prevention, including $28 million for school health. Eighty-seven percent of this funding was used for directly or indirectly supported programs focused on HIV prevention programs. The remaining thirteen percent was used to satisfy agency mandatory costs such as Public Health Service evaluation and to fund projects focused on cross-cutting topics and other related infections—for example, sexually transmitted diseases, tuberculosis, and viral hepatitis. (See page 27 DHAP annual report 2014)


HIV Funding at CDC FY 2013

In FY 2013 CDC received $741 million for HIV prevention including $28 million for HIV school health. DHAP received 86% of this funding for directly or indirectly supported programs specifically focused on HIV. The remaining 14% was used to satisfy agency mandatory costs such as Public Health Service evaluation and to fund projects focused on cross-cutting topics and other related infections external to DHAP, e.g. sexually transmitted diseases, tuberculosis, viral hepatitis and other. (See page 21 DHAP Annual Report 2013)


DHAP HIV Funding Awards by State and Dependent Area Fiscal Year 2012

See more information on these and prior years’ Congressional Justifications and budget priorities.

Top