Register and Schedule Vaccination Appointment(s) for Yourself or on Behalf of Someone Else
This quick reference guide provides instructions for using the guest registration functionality in VAMS to schedule vaccination appointment(s) and register for a vaccine. You can use guest registration for yourself or if you are a representative/guardian of vaccine recipient(s), you can use it to schedule vaccination appointment(s) and register for a vaccine on behalf of someone else.
NOTE: If you are a representative/guardian of vaccine recipient(s), use of the term “you” throughout this document will be referring to the vaccine recipient you are representing.
Recipients have two options for navigating guest registration. They may either schedule an appointment and then register in VAMS, or they may pre-register their information in VAMS and not schedule an appointment. The second scenario may be useful at clinics that accept walk-in appointments or if the recipient is not yet ready to schedule an appointment. For both options, creating a VAMS account is optional.
Option 1: Schedule an Appointment, Then Register
Step 1: Answer Prescheduling Question(s)
- Navigate to your jurisdiction’s VAMS landing page
- Review the welcome text on the top of the page to get more information on your eligibility. If you are eligible, click one of the following options:
- Schedule a Pediatric COVID-19 vaccine appointment, if the recipient is a minor age 5–11 years
- Schedule your COVID-19 vaccine additional or booster dose
- Schedule an additional dose if you have already completed your initial vaccine series (first and second dose for Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna).
- Schedule your booster dose if you have already completed your initial vaccine series (first and second dose for Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna and first dose for Janssen [Johnson & Johnson]) and additional dose, if needed.
- Schedule your vaccination appointment
- Schedule your COVID-19 testing appointment
- Manage appointments
- Select the state where you want to get vaccinated
- Select the vaccine(s) you want to schedule an appointment for by checking the boxes next to COVID-19 Vaccine and/or Influenza Vaccine (only applicable if “Schedule your vaccination appointment” button was clicked on the landing page)
- If you marked COVID-19 Vaccine, select an answer to the prescheduling question, “Are you fully vaccinated for COVID-19 vaccine and trying to schedule an additional dose based on the updated Federal guidance?”
- If you answer “Yes, schedule for COVID-19 vaccine additional dose appointment,” the system will ask your most recent prior vaccination date.
- If you answer “Yes, schedule for COVID-19 vaccine booster dose appointment,” the system will ask what vaccine product you previously received and your most recent prior vaccination date.
- If you answer “No, schedule for COVID-19 vaccine first or second dose appointment,” the system will ask you “Have you ever received a dose of COVID-19 vaccine?” to determine if you are scheduling for a first or second dose appointment for COVID-19 vaccine. If you answer “No,” the system assumes you are scheduling for a first dose of COVID-19 vaccine.
- If you answer “Yes,” the system will ask which vaccine product you received (i.e., Peds Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine (ages 5 to 11), Pfizer-BioNTech (COMIRNATY) COVID-19 Vaccine, Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine, Janssen [Johnson & Johnson] COVID-19 Vaccine, or “I don’t remember”) and the date the prior dose was received to ensure the next dose is scheduled at the right time (if applicable).
- If you selected “Schedule a Pediatric COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment” button on the landing page.
- The system will prompt you to indicate if the minor recipient (ages 5-11) has ever received a COVID-19 pediatric vaccine.
- If you answer “No”, the system assumes you are scheduling for a first dose of COVID-19 pediatric vaccine.
- If you answer “Yes,” the system will ask which vaccine product you received and the date the prior dose was received to ensure the second dose is scheduled at the right time (if applicable).
- Check the box that confirms the above information is accurate and that you meet the eligibility criteria (if scheduling for COVID-19 vaccine additional dose). Click Next.
- If you select Janssen [Johnson & Johnson], you cannot schedule a second dose as it is a single-dose vaccine.
Step 2: Schedule Your Appointment
Step 2a | Find a Clinic
- On the Clinic Location page, search for a clinic by entering an address or ZIP/postal code to find clinics nearby. You can filter results to locate a clinic within a 5-, 10-, 20-, 50-, or 100-mile radius of the recipient’s address or ZIP/postal code by clicking the drop-down arrow in the Within box.
- Click Search and a list of clinics within your selected mile radius will appear.
- Note: Only clinics that carry the vaccine product and dose you selected during the prescheduling questions will appear in the search results.
- Click the name of the clinic where you would like to schedule an appointment, then click the Next button that appears above the list of clinics.
- Note: The Next button will only appear once you select a clinic name.
Step 2b | Select a Date and Time
- On the Date and Time page, select an available appointment date on the calendar located on the left side of the page.
- Select an appointment time by clicking a time slot, then click the Next button located in the bottom right corner of the page.
- Review your selected appointment location, date, and time, as well as any notes from the clinic, if provided.
- The review page will also display the vaccine you are scheduled to receive.
- Click Submit to confirm the appointment or click Previous to make any changes.
- Days on the calendar with available appointments are underlined in green.
- You can select Return to Search Results on the Date and Time page to return to the list of available clinics.
- After clicking Submit, the selected appointment time slot will be held in the system for 10 minutes while you complete your registration. If registration is not completed by that time, the appointment will be released in the system. The countdown timer is located in the upper right corner of the page.
Step 3: Register for a Vaccine
To confirm the appointment in the system, you must register for a vaccine in VAMS. Enter the required information on the Existing Account page to move forward with the appointment scheduling process.
- Enter first name, last name, date of birth, and one of the following: email address, cell phone number, or VAMS system ID.
- Click Continue.
- Click Register for Vaccine.
- Enter the requested information on the Guest Registration page. Required information is indicated by red asterisks (*) in VAMS.
- Representative/guardian information – If you are a representative or guardian registering on behalf of a recipient, select Yes and enter the required personal information.
- First and last name
- Date of birth
- Race and ethnicity
- Home address
- Preferred method of contact (email, SMS, or “I prefer not to receive any communication from VAMS”)
- Preferred language for communications (English or Español)
- Select an option in the Account Information section. Creating an account is optional.
- After entering the information, click Next.
- Review the personal information and insurance information (if applicable) for accuracy. If any information is inaccurate, click Previous to make edits before moving forward.
- Confirm all information is correct and complete, then check the box that you agree the information is correct.
- Click Submit. This takes you to the confirmation page.
- After clicking Submit, you will see a confirmation that the appointment has been scheduled. The confirmation includes the appointment details and a QR code the front desk can use to check you in upon arrival at the clinic.
- In order to confirm your appointment, you must register for a vaccine in the system.
- Account creation is not required as part of the guest registration process.
- Based on your selection in the Communications Preferences section, the information shown on the confirmation page will be included in an appointment confirmation notification sent via your preferred contact method.
- The appointment confirmation email will display the list of vaccines you are scheduled to receive.
- After completing registration, you can log in at any time to review or edit your information or appointment(s) by navigating to your jurisdiction’s guest registration landing page and clicking the Manage Appointments button.
Option 2: Pre-Register for a Vaccine without Scheduling an Appointment
- Recipients: Navigate to your jurisdiction’s guest registration landing page and click the link at the bottom that says, “Enter your information to pre-register.”
- Confirm you do not already have a VAMS account by entering your first name, last name, date of birth, and one of the following: email address, cell phone number, or VAMS System ID.
- Once you’ve entered your information, click Continue.
- If you do not have a VAMS account, the system will say your information is not on file and you will see a Register for Vaccine button. Click this button to proceed.
- If you do already have a VAMS account, you do not need to pre-register, as you are already registered in VAMS. The system will send a verification code to your preferred contact method. Enter this code on the screen and click Verify. You can then proceed with scheduling a vaccination appointment.
- Enter all required information, marked by a red asterisk (*), then click Next.
- VAMS will send a verification code to your preferred contact method. Enter this code in the pop-up window and click Verify.
- Review your information and check the box at the bottom of the screen, confirming the information is accurate, then click Submit.
You are now pre-registered! You can click the Schedule Vaccination Appointment button if you are ready to schedule an appointment now, or simply return to the guest registration login screen at a later date and click the Schedule Your Vaccination Appointment button.