Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) in VAMS
VAMS is required to use multi-factor authentication (MFA) to meet federal security requirements. MFA confirms a user’s identify when they log into VAMS by requiring both their password and a unique code they receive via their preferred method of communication (email or SMS). This quick reference sheet will provide guidance on how to manage your MFA preferences.
NOTE: Currently, MFA is required for clinic, organization, jurisdiction, and multi-portal users. Recipient-only users do not use MFA at this time.
Manage Your MFA Preferences
- Log into VAMS.
- From any page in your portal, click the drop-down arrow next to your name in the upper right corner of the page.
- Click My Profile.
On the My Profile page, you can select how you prefer to receive temporary MFA codes.
- Email is the default selection for method of contact.
- If you wish to receive temporary MFA codes via SMS text message, select SMS.
- If you select the SMS option, an additional field will appear, prompting you to confirm your cell phone number.
- Enter your cell phone number into the Cell Phone field.
- Click Confirm Number to have a verification code sent to your phone.
- Enter the verification code into VAMS, then click Confirm.
- Click Save in the bottom right corner of the page to save your updated preferences.
You may update your MFA preferences at any time from the My Profile page.