Organization Coordinator User Manual
What you’ll need to complete this process
- Access to the internet
- Access to your organization’s email account
- Registration email from email@example.com
You must activate an account in VAMS to use the system. After your jurisdiction POC enters your name and email address in VAMS, you will receive an email with a VAMS registration link.
- Search your inbox for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quick Tip: If this email is not in your inbox, you may need to check your junk or spam mail folders. If you still cannot find the email, contact your jurisdiction POC.
- Click the registration link in the email. This takes you to the account creation page in VAMS.
- NOTE: The registration link in your email is for your registration only and cannot be used to register anyone else. Please do not forward it to anyone as the link will not work for them.
- Verify your email address (the email address where you received the original VAMS invitation will be prepopulated). Your email address will be your user name when logging in to VAMS.
- Create and verify your password.
- Check your email account for a verification code that will be sent to you immediately after clicking the registration link in your email from email@example.com. Enter the verification code.
- Read the terms and conditions and check the box saying you agree.
- Click Create Account.
NOTE: Every time you log into VAMS, you must verify your identity by entering your password, and a number you receive via email or SMS, depending on the preferred contact method you choose (two-factor authentication process). After five log-in attempt failures, you will be locked out of the system for one hour.
After creating your account, you are immediately taken to the Organization Portal home page, where you see the My Members table.
What you’ll need to complete this step
- Organization name
- Organization address
- Organization phone number
- Your email address
- On the Point of Contact page, confirm your information is correct. If not, make the necessary edits, then click Next.
- On the Organization Information page, confirm your organization’s information is correct. If not, make the necessary edits, then click Next.
- Review all information. If everything is correct, click Next. If not, click Previous to make corrections.
Quick Tip: After completing your registration, you can add coordinators to your organization by clicking Add Coordinator at the top right of the screen. Note that, once added, coordinators cannot be removed from your organization.
You can add additional organization coordinators to assist with managing your organization members in VAMS.
- Navigate to the My Members tab.
- Click Add Coordinator. This will open the Add or Update User pop-up window.
- Enter the email address for the individual you wish to add as the coordinator, then click Search.
- If the user is already known to VAMS, their information will auto-populate in the fields within the pop-up window. Confirm the information is accurate, complete the reCAPTCHA, then click Save.
- If the user is not already known to VAMS, enter the individual’s information. Complete the reCAPTCHA, then click Save.
After you add an organization coordinator, VAMS will notify them through email (from firstname.lastname@example.org) that they have been added as an organization coordinator. The email will include a link to register, if applicable.
Add members’ names and email addresses in VAMS one at a time.
Add multiple members in VAMS at one time by using the bulk upload function.
Policy Enabled Registration (PER) allows an organization to send a common registration link for member registration.
Don’t forget to add yourself to become eligible to receive COVID-19 vaccination!
Now that you activated your account and registered your organization in VAMS, you can use the system to add your organization’s members in VAMS so they can become eligible to receive COVID-19 vaccination. This can be done by allowing them to register through adding them in VAMS individually or via bulk upload, policy enabled registration, or a combination of all three methods.
There are three ways to add members in VAMS so they can register for COVID-19 vaccination:
We use the term “member” in VAMS to signify any person added by an organization in VAMS for COVID-19 vaccination.
In addition to policy enabled registration, there are two ways to add members in VAMS so they can register to become eligible to receive COVID-19 vaccination: one at a time or via bulk upload by importing a list of names. First, we’ll learn how to add members one at a time.
- Click Add Member in the My Members tab.
- Enter the member’s first and last name, email address or cell phone number, select their language preferences (English or Spanish), and check the confirmation box at the bottom of the page. Click Save.
Note the following field requirements:
- First name is limited to 80 characters
- Last name is limited to 80 characters
- Email address must contain an “@” sign and valid domain (.com, .gov, etc.) or an error message will appear.
- Cell phone number must contain 10 digits
- If the email address or cell phone number you entered already exists in VAMS, you will receive an error message.
- If you enter both an email address and cell phone number, VAMS will use email as the member’s preferred contact method and will allow the member to update their preferred contact method when they register.
NOTE: Fields marked with a red asterisk (*) are required.
After adding a member in VAMS, a registration notification is sent to their preferred contact method with a link to register their account.
In addition to policy-enabled registration and adding members one at a time, you can also add multiple members in VAMS at once with bulk upload.
- Click the My Members tab.
- Click Import Members in the top right corner of the page.
- Click the Member Import Template link in the pop-up window that appears. After clicking the link, the template file downloads to your computer.
Important Notes About the Member Import Template File:
- The file opens on your computer as an .xlsx file, but you must save it as a CSV UTF-8 (Comma delimited) (.csv) file after entering all information and before uploading it to VAMS. No other types of csv files are accepted.
- You must use the latest version of the import template when uploading a list of members in VAMS. Please ensure you download and use the latest version of the import template each time you attempt to bulk upload members in VAMS to take advantage of constant improvements and to avoid data issues/inconsistencies.
- All fields within the template that are marked with an asterisk are required.
- VAMS will not upload a member if any of the required fields are blank.
- VAMS will not upload duplicates if someone is listed in the csv file multiple times or has already been added in VAMS.
NOTE: A comma separated values (csv) file is a plain text file that contains a list of data. These files are often used for exchanging data between different applications.
- After inputting clinic information and saving the Clinic Import Template as a CSV UTF-8 file, you should close the file and immediately upload it into VAMS. Do not reopen the file on your computer between conversion and upload. In some cases, reopening the file after saving as a CSV UTF-8 file could alter field properties and cause the recipient upload to fail.
- Open the file and enter your members’ information.
- Save the file as a CSV UTF-8 (Comma delimited) (.csv) You can find this option under the Save As drop-down menu in Excel.
- In the Import Member List pop-up window, click Upload Files or drag and drop your member list in the Drop Files area of the pop- up window.
- Click Close.
Frequently Asked Questions
You cannot modify the Member Import template. VAMS will not upload the information if the template has been modified in any way. If you need to track separate groups, you can upload separate files.
Confirm Bulk Upload
Once you have imported a list of members, the following processes will occur in VAMS:
- A message will appear on screen that your list is in the import queue.
- VAMS will send a registration notification to each member’s preferred contact method if their information was entered in the CSV file completely.
- After your list has fully processed, you will receive an email from email@example.com, stating that it has been uploaded. Depending on the size of the import file, your member list may not upload immediately.
- A Result Log for Bulk Upload file will appear in the Member Imports tab. This file will show you all the members added to the system and explain why some may not be added. See the instructions below to view the Result Log for Bulk Upload file.
- Click the Member Imports tab to check the results of your bulk upload.
- The Member Imports tab shows information about your uploads including the system-generated Import ID number, who imported the list, and when it was imported.
- Click the Import ID number of the member import to open the import details page.
- Below the Member Import details is the Notes and Attachments. This includes two files: a Result Log for Bulk Upload and the member import file you uploaded.
- Click the Result Log for Bulk Upload link to open the file.
- Scroll to the right until you see the status column. This column indicates whether a member was added in the system.
- If there were duplicates or missing information, you will see an error message saying why a member was not uploaded in VAMS.
- All members who have a status of Success have been uploaded in the system. Members whose statuses include an error message have not been uploaded in the system.
Frequently Asked Questions
VAMS users can use any email address (e.g., work or personal) when registering clinic users or recipients.
Policy Enabled Registration (PER) allows an organization to provide a common registration link for their members’ registration in VAMS. In doing so, anyone with this email domain has the option to register in VAMS. NOTE: PER is domain-specific, not link-specific. Only use PER if you wish to give everyone with a specific email domain the ability to register. Even if you only send the link initially to a few members, others will still be able to register if they are sent the link and have the same email domain enabled by PER (e.g., if PER is enabled for the domain @xyz.com, anyone with this email domain can use your link to register in VAMS, not just those who receive the link).
For your organization to use PER for your members, you must provide at least one but up to 3 email domains (e.g., fultoncounty.gov, fultoncounty.org) to the jurisdiction POC so they can include that information when adding your organization in VAMS. NOTE: This must be done when the jurisdiction POC first adds your organization in VAMS as they cannot edit your organization’s record after it has been added in the system.
Once the jurisdiction POC adds the email domain(s) you provided and you have registered your organization in VAMS, you will see an organization-specific registration link above the tabs within the Organization Portal. You can copy this link and distribute it to your members.
- Members will access VAMS using the organization-specific registration link you distributed and enter their organization email address and name.
- The system will validate that the email address entered by the member has the same domain as one of the domains the jurisdiction POC entered in your organization’s record.
- VAMS will send a unique registration link to the member’s email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Members can click the registration link and start the standard registration flow at prescreening, then enter personal and insurance (if applicable) information.
- Note that members cannot change their email address after they’ve registered in VAMS.
NOTE: Third-party email domains such as Yahoo Mail or Gmail cannot be used for PER. Domains used must be owned by the organization or an affiliate.
For you to become eligible to receive COVID-19 vaccination, you must be a member of your organization in VAMS.
- To add yourself as a member, click Add Member.
- Enter your first and last name and email address or cell phone number.
- Select your preferred language (English or Spanish).
- Check the box to confirm consent to share contact information with VAMS.
- Click Save.
NOTE: Use the same email address you use for your organization coordinator log-in.
After adding yourself as a member, a recipient registration notification is sent to your preferred contact method with a link to the VAMS landing page.
- If you’re logged into VAMS, log out by clicking the drop-down arrow next to your name in the upper right corner of the page, then click Logout.
- Open your recipient registration notification and click the link to register your account.
Quick Tip: If your preferred contact method is email and the registration email is not in your inbox, you may need to check your junk or spam mail folders.
- On the next screen, enter the email address you use for your log-in, or the user name provided by VAMS (if registering by cell phone).
- NOTE: If you are adding yourself as a member via cell phone, this will create a separate VAMS account from your organization coordinator account that was registered via email. To become a multi-portal user who can access both the Organization Portal and Recipient Portal with the same login, you must use your same email address when adding yourself as a member of your organization.
- Enter the same password you use when logging in as an organization coordinator user. Complete the reCAPTCHA, then click Login.
- NOTE: Every time you log into VAMS, you must verify your identity by entering your password, and a number you receive via email or SMS, depending on the preferred contact method you choose (two-factor authentication process). After five log-in attempt failures, you will be locked out of the system for 15 minutes.
- After logging in, you will be taken to the Portal Selection screen where you will now have multiple portals to choose from including the Organization Portal and Recipient Portal.
- Click Access Portal below the Recipient Portal to complete your recipient registration.
Quick Tip: While logged into VAMS, you can switch portals by clicking the drop-down arrow next to your name in the upper right corner and selecting Switch Portals.
This section shows you how to manage organization members entered in VAMS and how to access VAMS support.
Member Management in VAMS
View a list of all members you entered in VAMS or search for a specific member.
Information about registration emails and how to resend a registration email.
Edit member information or remove them from your organization.
Access VAMS Support
Know how to find answers to frequently asked questions about VAMS
View a comprehensive list of members you entered in VAMS by clicking the My Members tab. You can also search for a particular member, resend registration emails, and edit member information on this page (see below).
Search for a Member
There are multiple ways to search for members on the My Members tab.
- You can search by clicking the arrows in the columns to sort them by the column headers (e.g., first name, email address).
- You can also use the search bar to enter information such as first name, last name, or email address. Note that you can search for full names/email addresses or just the beginning of the recipient’s name. For example, you can find the record for a recipient named William Smith by searching for “Will.”
If a member has yet to register in VAMS 5 days after receiving their registration link, VAMS automatically sends a reminder email to the member. Reminder emails will continue up until the member registers or until 5 consecutive reminders have been sent.
You may also manually trigger the reminder email in VAMS. From the My Members tab, select the checkbox next to the names of the members to which you want to resend the registration email, then click Resend Registration Email at the top right of the screen.
- You can only resend the email one time per hour.
- You can only resend a registration email a maximum of 5 times per individual.
- You cannot resend a registration email to an individual who has already registered their VAMS account.
You can edit first name, last name, and email address for individuals in your organization after uploading them to your organization in VAMS.
- On the My Members tab, hover your mouse over the name or email address you want to edit.
- Click the pencil icon on the right side of the cell.
- Enter the updated information, then click Enter.
- The updated information will then be highlighted yellow to confirm it has been updated.
- You cannot change the information of an individual who has already registered their VAMS account.
- The member can edit their own first name and last name during the registration process and once their account is registered.
- You can edit the email address or phone number for a member who has not registered in VAMS.
You can remove members from your organization after uploading them to your organization in VAMS.
- From the My Members tab, select the checkbox next to the names of the members you wish to remove from your organization.
- After ensuring the boxes are checked, click Remove Registration on the right side of the page.
- You will then see a success message on the top of the screen confirming the members were removed.
- You cannot remove members after they have registered their account.
- If members try to register after being removed, VAMS will inform them there was an error processing their registration and that they should contact their administrator for more information.
Where to Find Additional VAMS Resources and Information
The Help page has answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the Organization Portal and your access in VAMS.
- If you need help when using VAMS, click the Help link in the upper right corner of the navigation bar to find support.
- You can read through the list of FAQs or you can search for a particular topic in the search bar located below the FAQs tab.
Frequently Asked Questions
The jurisdiction POC is the only one permitted to enter organizations in VAMS. Please contact your jurisdiction POC to understand your status as an organization.
No, you must register as a recipient to schedule a vaccination appointment or create a walk-in appointment.
To register as a recipient, add yourself as a member of your organization in VAMS the same way you added other members, using the same email address you use to log into VAMS as an Organization Coordinator.
- You will then receive an email from VAMS (email@example.com) with a link to register as a recipient. This email is sent to the same email address you use to log into VAMS.
- Follow that link to complete your recipient registration.
- Once registered as a recipient, log into VAMS and you will see the portal selection page. Click Organization Portal for your organization duties or Recipient Portal to schedule a vaccination appointment as a recipient.
- See Section 2: Add Organization Members in VAMS in the Organization Coordinator User Manual for step-by-step help.
VAMS is web-based and works on computers, cell phones, and tablets. There is no VAMS smartphone app, but you can access the VAMS website from the internet browser on your cell phone or tablet. VAMS works best in the Google Chrome web browser but can be accessed via any browser except Internet Explorer.
No, VAMS does not integrate with Outlook.
CDC is currently exploring how to use VAMS for later phases of the COVID-19 response.
VAMS works best in the Google Chrome web browser but can be accessed via any browser except Internet Explorer. VAMS also works on Android and iOS mobile devices.
Submit a Question
- If you don’t find the information you’re looking for, you can submit a question.
- From the Help page, click Submit a Question.
- Click Submit a Case and select New Organization Case.
- When logged into the system, your name will be prepopulated in your case.
- Select the category of your question (and subcategory, if applicable), select your jurisdiction, type the subject of your question, then type your question in the text box.
- After clicking Confirm, a message will appear on the screen confirming your question was sent.
- A response to your question will be sent to you via email from CARS_HelpDesk@cdc.gov.
- Once you receive a response to your question, you can communicate back and forth with the support team by replying to the email. NOTE: Do not edit the subject line of the email or the support team member who initially responded to your question will not receive it.