About the Journal
- Current Impact Factor 5.5 (2022)
- Ranked 21st of 180 journals in SSCI Edition: Public, Environmental, and Occupational Health, Journal Citation Reports (JCR)
- Ranked 3rd of 33 open-access US public health journals by Scientific Journal Ranking (SJR)
- Ranked 22nd of 252 open access journals worldwide in Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health by SJR
- Ranked 59th of 608 journals worldwide in Public Health, Environmental, and Occupational Health by SJR
- Ranked in the top 10% of 27,955 journals evaluated by SJR
- Indexed in PubMed and PubMed Central
- Acceptance Rate: 29.7%
Preventing Chronic Disease (PCD) is a peer-reviewed public health journal sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and authored by experts worldwide. PCD was established in 2004 by the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion with a mission to promote dialogue among researchers, practitioners, and policy makers worldwide on the integration and application of research findings and practical experience to address health disparities, advance health equity, and improve population health.
PCD’s vision is to serve as an influential journal in the dissemination of proven and promising peer-reviewed public health findings, innovations, and practices with editorial content respected for its integrity and relevance to chronic disease prevention.
- Medical and healthcare professionals.
- Researchers and evaluators.
- Policy makers.
- Public health practitioners.
- Development, implementation, and evaluation of population-based interventions to prevent chronic diseases and control disease effects on quality of life, morbidity, and mortality.
- Behavioral, psychological, genetic, environmental, biological, and social factors that influence health.
- Interventions that reduce the disproportionate incidence of chronic diseases among at-risk populations.
- Development, implementation, and evaluation of public health law and health-policy–driven interventions.
For more information on sending an inquiry about the suitability of a proposed manuscript, see our How to Submit an Inquiry page.
- Implementation Evaluation
- Program Evaluation Brief
- Original Research
- Research Brief
- Systematic Review
- GIS Snapshots
- Tools for Public Health Practice
Please see detailed descriptions of Types of Articles in the “Author’s Corner” section.
PCD is an open access journal which means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or their institution. Users are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful purpose, without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author.
The opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors’ affiliated institutions.