First Flag Flown
In 1960, when CDC moved from Peachtree Street to Clifton Road, there was a flagpole in front of Building 1 but no flag – one was on order but hadn't yet arrived. Mr. Jim Paine, a CDC employee who later worked in MASO, volunteered to lend the agency the flag that draped his father's casket in 1925. His father had served in the cavalry in WWI. The flag flew over CDC for about 3 weeks, until the new one arrived. In 1995, Mr. Paine presented the flag to the museum. The 48-star, Sterling Bunting flag is all wool and measures 60 high by 114 wide.
- Page last reviewed: January 9, 2015
- Page last updated: January 9, 2015
- Content Source:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Page maintained by: Office of the Associate Director for Communication, Division of News and Electronic Media