Appendix C: Online Resources
- CDC. Naegleria fowleri—Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM)—Amebic Encephalitis. Tap & Faucet Water. 2015.
Contaminants (chemical, biological, or radiological)
- EPA. Water: Water Contaminant Information Tool (WCIT). 2013.
- WHO. Chemical Safety of Drinking Water: Assessing Priorities for Risk Management. [PDF - 160 pages] 2007.
- Sandia National Laboratories. Water Security Toolkit: A Contamination Incident Response Tool for Water Security. 2015.
- USGS. Contaminants found in Groundwater. 2015.
- American Water Works Association (AWWA). Regulations. 2015.
- USGS. Drinking Water Exposure to Chemical and Pathogenic Contaminants. 2015.
- Environmental Health News. Unregulated Contaminants Common in Drinking Water. 2013.
- Minnesota Department of Health. VOCs: Volatile Organic Chemicals in Private Drinking Water Wells. 2015.
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection. Volatile Organic Chemical Contaminants. 2014.
- Western Australia State Health. Drinking Water Contaminants. 2016.
Cyanobacterial Blooms/Cyanotoxins/Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs)
- CDC. General Information. Harmful Algal Blooms (HABS)-Associated Illness. 2016.
- CDC. Health Studies Branch—Promoting Clean Water for Health. 2016.
- EPA. Ground Water and Drinking Water—Cyanotoxins in Drinking Water. 2016.
- EPA. Recommendations for Public Water Systems to Manage Cyanotoxins in Drinking Water. [PDF - 70 pages] Office of Water. 2015.
- EPA. 2015 Drinking Water Health advisories for Two Cyanobacteria Toxins. [PDF - 3 pages] Office of Water. 2015.
For tools on how to communicate the risks of cyanotoxins in drinking water, see the EPA's Cyanotoxins in Drinking Water page.
- CDC. Analyzing Quantitative Data for Evaluation. Evaluation Briefs. [PDF - 2 pages] 2009.
- University of Wisconsin-Extension. Analyzing Qualitative Data. Program Development & Evaluation. [PDF - 12 pages] 2003.
- University of Wisconsin-Extension. Collecting Evaluation Data: An Overview of Sources and Methods. Program Development and Evaluation. [11 pages] 1996.
- CDC. Data Collection Methods for Program Evaluation: Questionnaires. Evaluation Briefs. [ PDF - 2 pages] 2008.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Qualitative Research Guidelines Project. 2006.
- EPA. Emergency Disinfection of Drinking Water. [PDF - 2 pages] 2015.
- Michigan Emergency Management. Emergency Action Plans for Retail Food Establishments. [PDF - 74 pages] pp. 18–30. 2012.
Exercise Planning and Preparedness
- Pacific Northwest Economic Region. Blue Cascades Exercise Series. Center for Regional Disaster Resilience. [PDF - 8 pages] 2007.
- EPA. Tabletop Exercise Tool for Water Systems: Emergency Preparedness, Response, and Climate Resiliency (TTX Tool). 2010.
- FEMA. Homeland Security Exercise and Evaluation Program (HSEEP). 2015.
- Columbia University. Public Health Emergency Exercise Toolkit: Planning, Designing, Conducting and Evaluating Local Public Health Emergency Exercises. [PDF - 82 pages] Updated to include 2007 HSEEP Reference Forms. 2007.
- State of Connecticut Department of Public Health. Emergency Response Planning Guide for Public Drinking Water Systems. [PDF - 64 pages] 2004.
- Washington State Department of Health. Drinking Water Emergency Exercises: Summary Reports. [PDF - 21 pages] 2005.
- DHS. State Homeland Security and Emergency Services. 2016.
- AWWA. Emergency Planning for Water Utilities. [PDF - 11 pages] 2001.
- West Virginia American Water. How to Flush Your Plumbing System. [PDF - 3 pages] 2014.
- Toledo-Lucas County Health Department. How to Flush Plumbing Appliances. [PDF - 2 pages] 2014.
- Nibley City, Utah. Residential Flushing Instructions. [PDF - 1 page] 2015.
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE). Legionellosis: Risk Management for Building Water Systems. 2015.
National Incident Management System (NIMS)
- FEMA. Critical Infrastructure and Key Resources Support Annex. [PDF - 36 pages] NIMS Resource Center. 2008.
- FEMA. Incident Command System. 2015.
- EPA. Water Sector National Incident Management System (NIMS) Implementation Objectives. [PDF - 4 pages] 2009.
Public Notification, Safety, and Preparedness
- EPA. Revised Public Notification Handbook. Second Revision. 2010. Chap. 3–6.
- EPA. Water: Public Notification Rule. Basic Information. 2017.
- EPA. Water: Public Notification Rule. Public Notice Templates. 2017.
- EPA. Water: Consumer Confidence Reports. 2017.
- CDC. Water-Related Emergencies and Outbreaks. 2017.
- FEMA. Recovering from Disaster. [PDF - 12 pages] 2017.
- EPA. Lead and Copper Rule 2007 Short-Term Revisions and Clarifications Implementation Guidance. 2017.
- EPA. Develop or Update a Drinking Water or Wastewater Utility Emergency Response Plan. 2016.
- Public Health Emergency (PHE). Planning for Water Supply Interruptions: A Guide for Hospitals & Healthcare Facilities. [ PDF - 2 pages] Healthcare & Public Health Sector Coordinating Councils.
- Washington State Department of Health. Boil Water Door Hanger in English and Spanish. [PDF - 2 pages] 2008.
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Effective Risk Communication: The Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s Guidelines for External Risk Communication. [PDF - 80 pages] 2004.
- EPA. Risk Communication in Action: The Tools of Message Mapping. [PDF - 51 pages] 2007.
- ATSDR. A Primer on Health Risk Communication. 1994.
- WHO. Risk Communication. Water Quality: Guidelines, Standards and Health. [PDF - 16 pages] 2001.
- EPA. The Seven Cardinal Rules of Risk Communication. 1992.
Safe Drinking Water Act
Sample Reporting Forms
- Modern Language Association. The Modern Language Association Language Map. 2016.
- U.S. Census Bureau. American Fact Finder.
- Washington Department of Health, Office of Drinking Water. Translations for Public Notification.
- EPA. Preparing Your Drinking Water Consumer Confidence Report: Guidance for Water Suppliers. Second Revision. 2010.
- EPA. Revised State Implementation Guidance for the Public Notification (PN) Rule. 2010.
- EPA. Implementing the Lead Public Education Provisions of the Lead and Copper Rule: A Guide for Community Water Systems. 2008.
- EPA. National Primary Drinking Water Regulations for Lead and Copper: Short-Term Regulatory Revisions and Clarifications. [PDF - 40 pages] 2007.
Water and Health Resources
- CDC. National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System (NNDSS). 2012.
- CDC. Medical Management Guidelines for Chemical Agents. 2013.
- FDA. Guidance for Industry: Use of Water by Food Manufacturers in Areas Subject to a Boil-Water Advisory. 2010.
- CDC. Healthcare Water System Repair Following Disruption of Water Supply. 2005.
- CDC. Hospitals, Healthcare Facilities and Nursing Homes: During a Boil Water Advisory. 2010.
- EPA. Ground Water & Drinking Water: Basic Information about Your Drinking Water. 2015.
- WHO. Programmes: Water, Sanitation, Hygiene. 2016.
- Page last reviewed: March 17, 2017
- Page last updated: March 17, 2017
- Content source: