Educational Materials for Health Professionals
The following list of materials and websites was developed by CDC for public health and health care professionals. For our list of patient education materials, visit Educational Materials for Patients.
This fillable calendar can help your patients reach their healthy eating and physical activity goals one day at a time.
- American Heart Month Partner Toolkit
- Heart Disease and Mental Health Disorders
- Heart Disease Facts
- Heart Disease Journal Articles
- Heart Disease Maps and Data Sources
- Heart Disease Patient Education Handouts
- Heart Disease Statistical Reports for Health Professionals
- Heart Disease Tools and Training
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports About Heart Disease
Cardiac rehabilitation (CR) saves lives, but only a portion of eligible patients participate, even after being referred. Quality improvement teams can use the Million Hearts® Cardiac Rehabilitation Change Packageexternal icon to select from a menu of options for specific interventions to improve CR utilization.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation At A Glanceexternal icon
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports About Stroke
- Stroke Facts
- Stroke Maps and Data Sources
- Stroke Statistical Reports
- High Cholesterol Facts
- High Cholesterol Maps and Data Sources
- High Cholesterol Statistical Reports for Health Professionals
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports About Cholesterol
- Facts About Hypertension
- Hypertension Communications Kit
- Hypertension Journal Articles
- Hypertension Maps and Data Sources
- Hypertension Patient Education Handouts
- Hypertension Statistical Reports for Health Professionals
- Hypertension Tools and Training
- Improving Medication Adherence Among Patients with Hypertensionexternal icon
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports About Hypertension
- CDC Sodium Reduction Initiative
- Healthy Eating Communications Kit
- Journal Articles About Sodium for Health Professionals
- Sodium Reduction Business Case Success Stories
- Sodium Reduction Fact Sheets
- Sodium Reduction Guides and Strategies for Health Professionals
- Sodium Reduction Infographics
- Sodium Reduction Training Resources
- Sodium Research Reviews
Data and Statistics
- Data Trends & Maps
To meet national and state level needs for cardiovascular disease (CVD) data, CDC has developed a National Cardiovascular Disease Surveillance System. The system is designed to integrate multiple indicators from many data sources to provide a comprehensive picture of the public health burden of CVDs and associated risk factors in the United States.
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
Information about health conditions and behaviors in the United States from the BRFSS, the world’s largest ongoing telephone health survey.
Statistics on public health topics; links to sources of additional data and related Web pages.
Reports, Guidelines and Recommendations
- Million Hearts® Cholesterol Management Pageexternal icon
This page provides updated cholesterol guidelines and links to treatment protocols and decision aids that can assist clinical teams and their patients in making informed health decisions.
- Markers of Inflammation and Cardiovascular Disease: Application to Clinical and Public Health Practiceexternal icon
A Statement for Healthcare Professionals from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Heart Association. Published in the journal Circulation.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF)external icon
An independent panel of experts in primary care and prevention that systematically reviews the evidence of effectiveness and develops recommendations for clinical preventive services.
- Guide to Community Preventive Servicesexternal icon
The Community Guide summarizes what is known about the effectiveness, economic efficiency, and feasibility of interventions to promote community health and prevent disease.
Training and Other Professional Development
- The Roadmap: A Systematic Approach to State Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Programs
The Roadmap is a Web-based resource for training and information to help build the competencies needed by state Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention (HDSP) Program Coordinators. It provides suggested steps for carrying out requirements of the HDSP Program as well as easy online access to training, tools, and other resources needed for successful program development and implementation. The Roadmap offers information on four key areas of programmatic activities for developing and implementing a heart disease and stroke prevention program, including What to Do and How to Do It.
- Promoting Policy and Systems Change to Expand Employment of Community Health Workers (CHWs) eLearning
This course is designed to provide state programs and other stakeholders with basic knowledge about CHWs, such as official definitions, workforce development, and other topic areas. The course also covers how states can become engaged in policy and systems change efforts to establish sustainability for the work of CHWs, including examples of states that have proven success in this arena.
- The Community Health Worker’s Sourcebook: a Training Manual for Preventing Heart Disease and Stroke
The sourcebook contains information and activities on heart disease and stroke and on the major risk factors for these diseases in adults. It also contains information on risk factors that begin in childhood. Additionally, it addresses people’s adherence to treatment and their communication with health care providers. Because the sourcebook contains some technical information, it is recommended for Community Health Workers (CHWs) who already have some experience in their profession.