AFM can be caused by viruses, including enteroviruses. Enteroviruses are common and usually cause mild illness. We are working to learn why a small number of people develop AFM after having a virus. Since we don’t know what triggers AFM in a person, there is no specific action to take to prevent AFM. But you can take steps to prevent getting sick from a virus.
You can lower the risk of getting a virus by:
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoiding touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
You can lower the risk of spreading a virus by:
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces, including toys, mobile devices, and doorknobs.
- Covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue or upper shirt sleeve, not hands.
- Staying at home if you or your child is sick.