Since we don’t know what triggers AFM in a person, there is no specific action to take to prevent AFM. But you can take steps to prevent getting sick from a virus.
You can do a lot to lower your and your child’s risk of getting a virus:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay up to date on recommended vaccinations.
You can lower the chance of spreading a virus:
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces, like toys, mobile devices, and doorknobs.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or upper shirt sleeve, not hands.
- Stay at home if you or your child are sick.