There is no specific action to take to prevent AFM.
Since we don’t know the cause of most of these AFM cases or what triggers this condition, there is no specific action to take to prevent AFM. However, most children had a respiratory illness or fever consistent with a viral infection before they developed AFM.
You can decrease risk of getting viral infections by:
- Washing hands often with soap and water
- Avoid touching face with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
You can decrease the risk of spreading viral infections by:
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces, including toys and doorknobs
- Covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue or upper shirt sleeve, not hands
- Keeping sick children at home