References & Resources
For Patients & Parents
Alternative Language: Spanish
Siegel Rare Neuroimmune Associationexternal icon. A non-profit organization dedicated to supporting patients and families with neuroimmune disorders, including AFM.
- AFM Physician Consult and Support Portal (Siegel Rare Neuroimmune Association)external icon
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM): Clinical Overview ppt icon[PPT – 3 MB]
- Emerging Infectious Diseases Podcast: Enterovirus D-68 and Acute Flaccid Myelitis, 2020
- CDC Webinar on AFM (free CE available)
- 2020 Public Health Grand Rounds: Acute Flaccid Myelitis (free CE available)
- AFM Vital Signs, August 2020
- AFM Vital Signs, July 2019
- 5 Things to Know About Acute Flaccid Myelitisexternal icon, Medscape, October 15, 2019
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis: Causes, Diagnosis, and Managementexternal icon. The Lancet, December 2020.
- Enterovirus D68–Associated Acute Flaccid Myelitis, United States, 2020. Emerging Infectious Diseases, October 2020.
- Vital Signs: Clinical Characteristics of Patients with Confirmed Acute Flaccid Myelitis, United States, 2018, MMWR, August 2020.
- Characteristics of Patients with Acute Flaccid Myelitis, United States, 2015-2018. Emerging Infectious Diseases, February 2020.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis in the United States: 2015—2017external icon, Pediatrics, October 7, 2019.
- Vital Signs: Surveillance for Acute Flaccid Myelitis — United States, 2018, MMWR, July 2019.
- Notes from the Field: Six Cases of Acute Flaccid Myelitis in Children — Minnesota, 2018, MMWR, April 18, 2019.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis-Keys to Diagnosis, Questions About Treatment, and Future Directionsexternal icon, JAMA Pediatrics, November 30, 2018.
- Increase in Acute Flaccid Myelitis — United States, 2018, MMWR, November 16, 2018.
- Safety, tolerability, and efficacy of fluoxetine as an antiviral for acute flaccid myelitisexternal icon, Neurology, November 9, 2018.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis: Etiologic Challenges, Diagnostic and Management Considerationsexternal icon, Current Treatment Options in Neurology, November 28, 2017.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis Among Children — Washington, September–November 2016, MMWR, August 11, 2017.
- Notes from the Field: Cluster of Acute Flaccid Myelitis in Five Pediatric Patients – Maricopa County, Arizona, 2016, MMWR, July 21, 2017.
- Outcomes of Colorado children with acute flaccid myelitis at 1 yearexternal icon, Neurology, June 14, 2017.
- Acute flaccid myelitis: A clinical review of US cases 2012-2015external icon, Annals of Neurology, September 2016.
- Enterovirus D68 Infection in Children with Acute Flaccid Myelitis, Colorado, USA, 2014, Emerging Infectious Diseases, August 2016.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis in the United States—August – December 2014: Results of Nation-Wide Surveillanceexternal icon, Clinical Infectious Diseases, June 17, 2016.
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis of Unknown Etiology in California, 2012-2015external icon, Journal of the American Medical Association, Dec 22-29, 2015.
- Recognition and Management of Acute Flaccid Myelitis in Childrenexternal icon, Pediatric Neurology, Oct 20, 2015.
- A novel outbreak enterovirus D68 strain associated with acute flaccid myelitis cases in the USA (2012-14): a retrospective cohort studyexternal icon, The Lancet Infectious Diseases, June 2015.
- Notes from the Field: Acute Flaccid Myelitis Among Persons Aged ≤21 Years— United States, August 1–November 13, 2014, MMWR, January 9, 2015.
- Acute flaccid paralysis with anterior myelitis – California, June 2012-June 2014external icon, MMWR, October 10, 2014.
- Acute Neurologic Illness of Unknown Etiology in Children — Colorado, August—September, 2014, MMWR, October 3, 2014.
Graphics & Videos
Acute Flaccid Myelitis: Diagnosis, Management & Surveillance
Source: American Academy of Neurology
Page last reviewed: June 7, 2021