Clinicians & Health Departments
For Clinicians: Promptly recognize AFM symptoms, hospitalize the patient, collect specimens, and contact your health department immediately.
- Examining Proximal Muscle Weakness in Children [1 page]
- How to Report Patients Under Investigation for AFM
- Patient Summary Form: Word| PDF
- AFM Physician Consult and Support Portal
- Emerging Infectious Diseases Podcast: Enterovirus D-68 and Acute Flaccid Myelitis, 2020
- 2020 Public Health Grand Rounds: Acute Flaccid Myelitis
- AFM Vital Signs, August 2020
- AFM Vital Signs, July 2019
- 5 Things to Know About Acute Flaccid Myelitis, Medscape, October 15, 2019
- If you are a clinician or from a health department and have a non-urgent question about AFM, email the AFM team at AFMInfo@cdc.gov.
- For urgent questions about AFM, please call the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) at 770-488-7100.
- Need a consult on a possible AFM case? Go to AFM Physician Consult and Support Portal.
- Frequently Asked Questions by Clinicians and Health Departments
- For additional resources for patients and parents, see For Parents: Helping Children Who Have AFM.
- Active studies AFM patients can participate in