The Respiratory Protection Information Trusted Source
Your home for trusted respiratory protection information
Welcome to the NIOSH Respiratory Protection Information Trusted Source page. This resource provides information ranging from basic respirator facts to more complex subjects on respirator function and performance.
The NIOSH National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory is responsible for administering NIOSH’s Respirator Approval Program and approves all respirators used in U.S. occupational settings. The NIOSH approval process ensures respirators meet minimum construction, performance, and respiratory protection standards. Therefore, users can be confident that NIOSH-approved respirators will provide the expected level of protection.
Millions of workers across the United States rely on respiratory protection to keep them safe on the job. This includes workers in occupations such as healthcare, construction, public safety, emergency response, and mining. To reduce exposure to respiratory hazards, it’s best to apply the hierarchy of controls. The use of respiratory protection is an important “last line of defense” in the hierarchy of controls approach.
Below are links to resources that will help you identify NIOSH-approved respirators and understand how to use them effectively.
- NIOSH Certified Equipment List (CEL)A searchable tool to find NIOSH-approved respirators. This is the official listing of all NIOSH-approved respirators.
- NIOSH-approved Filtering Facepiece RespiratorsA webpage providing a list of all NIOSH-approved filtering facepiece respirators by each filter series type (e.g., N95, P100, etc.). Manufacturer’s donning procedures are also available from these listings.
- Counterfeit Respirators/Misrepresentation of NIOSH ApprovalA webpage providing a listing of counterfeit respirators or respirators misrepresenting NIOSH approval.
- Types of Respiratory Protection (2019) pdf icon[PDF - 401 KB]An infographic showing a breakdown of all the types of respiratory protection.
- What are Air-Purifying Respirators? (2017) pdf icon[PDF - 239 KB]An infographic showing the different types of air-purifying respirators with brief descriptions.
- A Guide to Air-Purifying Respirators (2018) pdf iconA fact sheet identifying and describing the types of air-purifying respirators and their basic functions.
- What are Atmosphere-Supplying Respirators? (2019)pdf iconAn infographic showing the different types of atmosphere-supplying respirators with brief descriptions.
- A Guide to Atmosphere-Supplying Respirators (2019) pdf iconA fact sheet identifying and describing the types of atmosphere-supplying respirators and their basic functions.
- InfographicsA collection of infographics related to effective personal protective equipment practices and guidance.
- Fact SheetsA collection of fact sheets to promote effective personal protective equipment and respiratory protection program practices.
- Hospital Respiratory Protection Program Toolkit (2015) pdf iconA toolkit for hospitals to develop and implement effective respiratory protection programs.
- Healthcare Respiratory Protection ResourcesA resource outlining the key requirements and related resources for an effective hospital respiratory protection program.