Certified Equipment List
The NIOSH Certified Equipment List has a new look.
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), under authorization of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, provides a testing, approval, and certification program assuring respirators used in the workplace meet the standards of 42 CFR Part 84. Since 1994, NIOSH has maintained a searchable, online version of the Certified Equipment List.
Based on previous comments and suggestions from our stakeholders, NIOSH updated the Certified Equipment List format in 2016.
The certified equipment list is a tool to help respirator users, safety managers, industrial hygienists, and others to:
- Determine if the respirator they are currently using or considering using is NIOSH-certified,
- Select the appropriate respirator to protect against the hazard(s) they are exposed to,
- Locate the correct replacement component parts for respirators with chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear protections, and
- Learn what respirators are designed to provide protection from chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear agents, and what manufacturers produce units meeting the NIOSH standards.
The Certified Equipment List is regularly updated as respirators are approved, made obsolete, or the status changes in any way.
Enhancements to the 2016 edition include the expansion of Quick Searches to include searching by the TC (approval) number, schedule, filtering facepiece respirators only, manufacturer or brand, manufacturer of respirators with CBRN protection, facepiece type, and protection.
Some of the features available on the original version, such as the Prior Respirator Manufacturers Names and the definitions and terms, are currently being updated by NIOSH.
NIOSH welcomes your feedback on the updated version. Any comments can be directed to PPEConcerns@cdc.gov.
- Page last reviewed: January 31, 2018
- Page last updated: August 1, 2016
- Content source:
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory