National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory (NPPTL)
Updated September 13, 2021
Respiratory Protection, where to begin —
Description of the mission, role, and responsibilities of the National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory.
Information for manufacturers on applying for NIOSH approval, test procedures, standards, and other technical support.
- NIOSH Science Blog – Who Does What? The Roles of NIOSH, OSHA, and the FDA in Respiratory Protection in the Workplace
- Fact Sheet – How to Tell if your N95 Respirator is NIOSH Approved
- Fact Sheet – Understanding Filtration Efficiency Testing and Fit Testing in Filtering Facepiece Respirators (FFRs)
- NIOSH Science Blog – Respiratory Protection Week 2021 Resources and Review
- NEW! – Table of BFCs and Workplace Performance/Performance Plus masks that conform to the ASTM F3502-21 and NIOSH requirements, respectively
- CA-2021-1037 – Updated user instruction information regarding three NIOSH-approved filtering facepiece respirators TC-84A-9298, TC-84A-9308 and TC-84A-9315
- CA-2021-1036 – Immediate Information for NIOSH-Approval Holders having Public Health Emergency (PHE) Approvals issued during the COVID-19 Response, and the forthcoming NIOSH revocation of these PHE approvals
Additional Key Resources
Resources for healthcare facilities on implementing an effective respiratory protection program.
- Policies and Procedures
- Evaluation and Selection
- Medical Evaluation
- Fit Testing
- Proper Use and Storage
Resources to help emergency responders select and maintain the proper respiratory protection for their workplace hazards.
- Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (CBRN) Respirator Approval Resources
- Firefighter Self-contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) Resources
Personal Protective Equipment Key Resources
- NIOSH 42 CFR Part 84, Approval of Respiratory Protective Deviceexternal icon
- Letters to Respirator Manufacturers and Interested Parties
- NPPTL Participation in Standard Development Committees
- Respiratory Protection Videos
- Personal Protective Equipment Blogs
- Respirator Blogs
- MultiVapor™ Application
- NIOSH Respiratory Protection Week 2021
- NIOSH Publications
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards