National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory (NPPTL)
For more information on COVID-19 and PPE, please visit:
Optimizing the Supply of Respirators and Other PPE
NPPTL Respirator Assessment Results
NPPTL Respirator Assessment Results to Support the COVID-19 Response.
Approved Filtering Facepiece Respirators
Provides listing of particulate filtering facepiece respirators.
- CA 2021-1034R1 – Summarized Information about NIOSH Respirator Approval Program (i) Basic Application Procedures (ii) Quality Assurance Requirements and (iii) Supplier or Subcontractor Agreements. Supersedes: March 2021 version.
- CA 2021-1033R1 – Guidance for respirator users regarding NIOSH Approved surgical N95 filtering facepiece respirators (surgical N95s) exempt from 510(k) pre- market notification in accordance with the Food and Drug Administration regulations at 21 CFR § 878.4040. Supersedes March 2021 version.
- Making Masks for the Workplace – Interim Guidance from NIOSH on New Masks Which Build Upon the ASTM International (ASTM) Standard for Face Coverings
- P2021-0101 – Assessment of Filtration Efficiency, Manikin Fit Performance, and Strap Performance for Decontaminated N95 Filtering Facepiece Respirators
- CA 2021-1035 – Revocation of Public Health Emergency Approval TC-84A-PH19
- NIOSH Science Blog – Overview of The ASTM F3502-21 Barrier Face Covering Standard
- NIOSH Science Blog – Advancements in Elastomeric Respirator Technology for Use as Source Control
- CA 2021-1032 – Effective Immediately – In response to COVID-19 – Updated NIOSH fraud and fraudulent statements policy and prioritization for accepting and examining particulate filtering respirator approval applications, including Surgical N95 respirators, submitted by existing domestic and non-domestic approval holders, new domestic manufacturers/applicants, and new non-domestic manufacturers/applicants. Supersedes NIOSH CA 2020-1031
- FDA Emergency Use Authorizations
FDA EAUs can be found at https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/mcm-legal-regulatory-and-policy-framework/emergency-use-authorization#2019-ncovexternal icon
Resources for Healthcare Workers
- Elastomeric Half Mask Respirator Resources
- Reusable Elastomeric Respirators in Health Care: Considerations for Routine and Surge Useexternal icon
- Healthcare Respiratory Protection Resources Web Page
- Implementing Hospital Respiratory Protection Programs: Strategies from the Fieldexternal icon
- Hospital Respiratory Protection Program Toolkit
- Web-Based Resources for Healthcare
Page last reviewed: June 14, 2021
Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health