National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory (NPPTL)
Respiratory Protection, where to begin —
Description of the mission, role, and responsibilities of the National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory.
Information for manufacturers on applying for NIOSH approval, test procedures, standards, and other technical support.
Help us find new ways to provide better-fitting protective clothing for the full spectrum of U.S. workers. This challenge focuses specifically on medical gowns, firefighter turnout coats and pants, and protective coveralls for various sectors and will award a total prize purse of $55,000 to up to five teams whose innovations meet the challenge goals. Visit challenge.govexternal icon to learn more. Submission deadline is June 30, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. EDT.
Registerexternal icon for the Q&A webinar on May 24 at 2:00 p.m. EDT to learn more.
- CA 2022-1043 – Effective Immediately: Voluntary Rescission of Pacific PPE Corporation Approvals
- PPE CASE-TN 25514 – Bedford County, Virginia, Fire and Rescuepdf icon
- CA 2022-1041 – Effective Immediately – NIOSH fraud and fraudulent statements policy and new information about using NIOSH marks. This notice and NIOSH CA 2022-1040 supersede NIOSH CA 2021-1032
- CA 2022-1040 – Effective Immediately – Prioritization of applications submitted by existing domestic approval holders and new domestic applicants for new approvals or extensions-of-approval for particulate filtering respirators, including Surgical N95 respirators. This prioritization does not include private-label requests. This notice and NIOSH CA 2022-1041 supersede NIOSH CA 2021-1032
- NIOSH Science Blog – Release of National Academies Consensus Study Report on Protecting Workers and the Public From Inhalation Hazards
Additional Key Resources
Resources for healthcare facilities on implementing an effective respiratory protection program.
- Policies and Procedures
- Evaluation and Selection
- Medical Evaluation
- Fit Testing
- Proper Use and Storage
Resources to help emergency responders select and maintain the proper respiratory protection for their workplace hazards.
- Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (CBRN) Respirator Approval Resources
- Firefighter Self-contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) Resources
Personal Protective Equipment Key Resources
- NIOSH 42 CFR Part 84, Approval of Respiratory Protective Deviceexternal icon
- Letters to Respirator Manufacturers and Interested Parties
- NPPTL Participation in Standard Development Committees
- Respiratory Protection Videos
- Personal Protective Equipment Blogs
- Respirator Blogs
- MultiVapor™ Application
- NIOSH Respiratory Protection Week 2021
- NIOSH Publications
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards