NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards
The NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards (NPG) informs workers, employers, and occupational health professionals about workplace chemicals and their hazards. The NPG gives general industrial hygiene information for hundreds of chemicals/classes. The NPG clearly presents key data for chemicals or substance groupings (such as cyanides, fluorides, manganese compounds) that are found in workplaces. The guide offers key facts, but does not give all relevant data. The NPG helps users recognize and control workplace chemical hazards.
NIOSH offers four versions of the NPG: print, online, PDF, and mobile web app.
For chemicals not listed and/or lacking occupational exposure limits (OELs), NIOSH recommends consulting the NIOSH Occupational Exposure Banding Safety and Health Topic Page.
Download the NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards (mNPG)
The NIOSH Pocket Guide includes the following:
- Chemical names, synonyms, trade names, CAS, RTECS, and DOT ID and guide numbers
- Chemical structure/formula, conversion factors
- NIOSH recommended exposure limits (RELs)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) permissible exposure limits (PELs)
- NIOSH immediately dangerous to life and health values (IDLHs)
- Physical description and chemical and physical properties of agents
- Measurement methods
- Personal protection and sanitation recommendations
- Respirator selection recommendations
- Incompatibilities and reactivities of agents
- Exposure routes, symptoms, target organs, and first aid information
To order free copies of the NIOSH Pocket Guide go to the NIOSH document listing at CDC-INFO On Demand.
Other vendors of the NIOSH Pocket Guide:
Superintendent of Documentsexternal icon
Government Printing Office
Washington, D.C. 20402-9325
GPO stock number 017-033-00500-1
National Technical Information Service (NTIS)external icon
National Technical Reports Library
5301 Shawnee Road
Alexandria, VA 22312
Order Desk Telephone: (703) 605-6000 or 1-800-553-6847
NTIS order number PB2009103456 (only available as PDF download)