National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory (NPPTL)
Respiratory Protection, where to begin —
Description of the mission, role, and responsibilities of the National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory.
Information for manufacturers on applying for NIOSH approval, test procedures, standards, and other technical support.
Is your respirator NIOSH approved?
Counterfeit respirators are products that are falsely marketed and sold as being NIOSH approved and may not be capable of providing appropriate respiratory protection to workers.
Check out the updated NIOSH Certified Equipment List. This NIOSH tool can be used to find NIOSH Approved® respirators. The updated version is reformatted and includes quick searches for identifying respirators of current interest. NIOSH encourages users to update their bookmarks to point to the new Certified Equipment List page.
This booklet provides an overview of the NIOSH approval process and the application package requirements to address the most frequently asked questions, deter inappropriate applications, and better prepare potential NIOSH approval holders for the application process. View publication 2023-132
- CA 2023-1071 – Effective Immediately: Voluntary Rescission of 48 Honeywell International Inc. Approvals
- CA 2023-1070 – Effective Immediately: Voluntary Rescission of 26 Honeywell International Inc. Approvals
- CA 2023-1069 – Effective Immediately: Voluntary Rescission of 12 AOK Tooling Limited Approvals
- CA 2023-1068 – Effective Immediately: Voluntary Rescission of 30 Dentec Safety Specialists Corp. Approvals
- CA 2023-1067 – Effective Immediately: Voluntary Rescission of 19 Honeywell International, Inc. Approvals
- CA 2023-1066 – Notice: Important reminder to use the approved carry case for the Ocenco M-20.3 Closed-Circuit Escape Respirator (CCER)
- CA 2023-1065 – Effective Immediately — Voluntary Rescission of three Walter Surface Technologies Approvals
Additional Key Resources
Resources for healthcare facilities on implementing an effective respiratory protection program.
- Policies and Procedures
- Evaluation and Selection
- Medical Evaluation
- Fit Testing
- Proper Use and Storage
Resources to help emergency responders select and maintain the proper respiratory protection for their workplace hazards.
- Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (CBRN) Respirator Approval Resources
- Firefighter Self-contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) Resources
Personal Protective Equipment Key Resources
- NIOSH 42 CFR Part 84, Approval of Respiratory Protective Device
- Letters to Respirator Manufacturers and Interested Parties
- NPPTL Participation in Standard Development Committees
- Respiratory Protection Videos
- PPE CASE Notes
- Personal Protective Equipment Blogs
- Respirator Blogs
- MultiVapor™ Application
- NIOSH Respiratory Protection Week 2023
- NIOSH Publications
- Trending Resources
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards
N95 and NIOSH Approved are certification marks of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) registered in the United States and several international jurisdictions.