Standard Respirator Testing Procedures
Title 42 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 84 requires that respirators submitted for evaluation against the terms of the Standard must be accompanied by data that demonstrate the respirator under evaluation meets or exceeds the performance requirements set forth therein. Once approved, the quality assurance requirements specified in Subpart E of the Standard require an ongoing effort by the approval holder for the purpose of assuring not only the material aspects, but the performance level of the approved product.
To facilitate both of these activities, the Standard Test Procedures used by NIOSH NPPTL are posted here according to the following categories. Accordingly, some procedures may be listed in more than one category.
- Air-Purifying Respirators
- Air-Purifying Respirators with Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear Protection
- Air-Supplied Respirators
- Air-Supplied Respirators with Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear Protection
- Air-Purifying and Air-Supplied Respirators Facepiece Fit
- Air-Purifying and Air-Supplied Escape Respirators Environmental Conditioning
- Closed-Circuit Escape Respirators
- Interim Final Rule on Approval Tests and Standards for Air-Purifying Particulate Respirators
Respiratory Protective Devices, 42 CFR Part 84external icon
Includes test requirements respirators must meet in order to be approved by NIOSH.