Questionnaires, Datasets, and Related Documentation
- Major ChangesExplains the various changes in data collection technology and tobacco use questions from 1965 to the present.
- Adult Tobacco Use QuestionsQuestions on adult use of tobacco are reproduced in two documents: (1) 1965-1995 and (2)1997-2011. Summary documents that display only tobacco questions were discontinued after 2011. Tobacco use questions for subsequent years can be accessed by clicking on the relevant questionnaires from the List of Questionnaires or from the Guide for Data Users.
- Guide for Data UsersThis guide provides links to NHIS tobacco information, including questionnaires, documentation, data file information, SAS/SPSS/Stata input statements, and data sets for each data year in which NHIS tobacco use questions were asked.
- Smoking Status RecodesIncludes a history of smoking status recode variables used in the NHIS to compute estimates of smoking prevalence. Also includes a list of these variables as used in the survey from 1965 to the present.
- Page last reviewed: August 29, 2017
- Page last updated: August 29, 2017
- Content source: