The following references provide background information only and are not intended to be a bibliography of current physical activity research activities or issues.
- Sturgeon J, Meer J. The First 50 Years 1956-2006. The President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports Revisits Its Roots and Charts Its Future. Available at: President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports.external icon
- Montoye HJ, Epstein FH. Tecumseh community health study: an investigation of health and disease in an entire community. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 5(3):127-31, 1965.
- Epstein FH. The Tecumseh study. Archives of Environmental Health 21(3):402-7, 1970.
- Hochstim JR. Health and Ways of Living. In: Community as an Epidemiologic Laboratory. As Casebook of Community Studies. I.I. Kessler, M.L. Levin (Eds). Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Press, 1970, pp. 149-76.
- Shephard RJ. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Physical Activity and Cardiovascular Health held in Toronto, Ontario, October 11-13, 1966 and sponsored by the Ontario Heart Foundation, the Ontario Medical Association, and the Canadian Medical Association. Can Med Assoc J. 96(12):695-6. March 25, 1967.
- Choi JW. Exercise and Participation in Sports Among Persons 20 Years of Age and Over: United States, 1975. Hyattsville, Maryland: National Center for Health Statistics Advance Data from Vital Health Stat 19:1-11, 1978.
- Taylor HL, Jacobs DR, Schucker B, Knudsen J, Leon AS, Debacker G. A Questionnaire for the Assessment of Leisure Time Physical Activities. J Chron Dis 1978; 31:741-55.
- Institute of Medicine. National Academy of Sciences. Healthy People. The Surgeon General’s Report on Health Promotion and Disease Prevention. Background Papers. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, DHEW (PHS) Publication No. 79-55071A, 1979. pp. 1-484.
- U.S. Department of Health Education and Welfare. Healthy People. The Surgeon General’s Report on Health Promotion and Disease Prevention. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, DHEW (PHS) Publication No. 79-55071, 1979, pp.1-102.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Promoting Health Preventing Disease. Objectives for the Nation. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office. GPO No.1984 455 321 20079, 1980.
- Powell K, Paffenbarger RS. Workshop on Epidemiologic and Public Health Aspects of Physical Activity and Exercise: a Summary. Public Health Reports 100(2):118-26, 1985.
- Bouchard C., Shephard RJ, Stephens T, Sutton JR, McPherson BD. Exercise, Fitness, and Health. A Consensus of Current Knowledge. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Books, ISBN: 0-87322-237-7, pp. 3-28, 1990.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Public Health Service. Healthy People 2000. National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, DHHS Publication No. (PHS) 91-50212, 1990.
- National Institutes of Health Consensus Panel. Physical Activity and Cardiovascular Health. NIH Consensus Statement. 13(3):1-33. December 18-20, 1995.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Physical Activity and Health: A Report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, S/N: 017-023-00196-5, 1996.
- International Consensus Group for the Development of an International Physical Activity Questionnaire. International Physical Activity Questionnaire.external icon
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2010. 2nd ed. With Understanding and Improving Health and Objectives for Improving Health. 2 vols. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, ISBN: 0-16-050498-8 (Vol. 1). ISBN: 0-16-050499-6 (Vol. 2). November, 2000.
- Craig CI, Marshall AL, Sjostrom M, Bauman A, Booth ML, Ainsworth BE, et al. International Physical Activity Questionnaire: 12 country reliability and validity. Medicine and science in sports and exercise 35:1381-95, 2003.
- World Health Organization. Move for Health Day and Global Physical Activity Questionnaire. Available at: http://www.who.int/enexternal icon. Accessed: Feb 17, 2009.
- Shephard RJ, Lankenau B, Pratt M, Neiman A, Benaziza H, Bauman A. Physical Activity Policy Development: A Synopsis of the WHO/CDC Consultation, September 29-October 2, 2002, Atlanta, Georgia. Public Health Reports 119(May-June):346-51, 2004.
- World Health Organization. Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health. World Health Organization. 2004.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Department of Agriculture. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2005. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, ISBN: 0-16-072398-1, pp. 1-80, Jan 12, 2005.
- Kohl HW, Lee IM, Vuori IM, Wheeler FC, Bauman A, Sallis JF. Physical Activity and Public Health: The Emergence of a Subdiscipline–Report from the International Congress on Physical Activity and Public Health April 17-21, 2006, Atlanta, Georgia, USA. Journal of Physical Activity and Health 3:344-64, 2006.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. 2008. Available at: http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/external icon. Accessed: Feb 17, 2009.
- Stephens T, Craig CL. Fitness and Activity Measurement in the 1981 Canada Fitness Survey. In: Assessing Physical Fitness and Physical Activity in Population-Based Surveys. T.F. Drury (Ed.). U.S. Government Printing Office, ISBN: 0-8406-0392-4, pp. 401-432, 1989.
- Schoenborn CA. Health Promotion and Disease Prevention. United States, 1985. Hyattsville, Maryland: National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Health Stat 10(163):1-182, DHHS Publication No. 86-1591, 1986, pp. 35, 37.
- Piani AL, Schoenborn CA. Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, United States 1990. Hyattsville, Maryland. National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Health Stat 10(185):1-88. ISBN: 0-8406-0474-2, 1993. pp. 42, 44.
- Risk Factor Prevalence Study Management Committee. Risk Factor Prevalence Study. Survey No 3. 1989. Canberra, Australia: National Heart Foundation of Australia and Australian Institute of Health, ISBN 0 909475 27 X, 1990.
- Berg MA, Peltoniemi J, Puska P. Health Behaviour Among Finnish Adult Population, Spring, 1991. Helsinki, Finland: National Public Health Institute; 1992. ISBN 951-47-5730-0.
- Statistics Canada. General Social Surveyexternal icon.
- Adams PF, Schoenborn CA. Health risk behaviors among our nation’s youth: United States, 1992. National Center for Health Statistics. Vital and Health Stat 10(192). 1995. (Table 10)
- Caspersen C, Pollard RA. Validity of global self-reports of physical activity in epidemiology. CVD Epidemiology Newsletter 43(15). 1988.
- Weiss TW, Slater CH, Green LW, Kennedy VC, Albright DL, Wun CC. The Validity of Single-Item Self-Assessment Questions as Measures of Adult Physical Activity. J Clin Epidemiol 43(11):1123-9, 1990.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Step It Up! The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Promote Walking and Walkable Communities. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Office of the Surgeon General; 2015.
Page last reviewed: February 17, 2017
Content source: CDC/National Center for Health Statistics