Other Specimens - Shipment
Note: When you ship a specimen to CDC, make sure your package will arrive on a weekday and will not arrive at CDC on the weekend or a federal holiday.
- In emergencies, call the Epidemiology Branch of the Division of Parasitic Diseases at (770) 488-7760 to make special arrangements.
- For routine requests, submit the specimen to the appropriate city, county or state health department laboratory (see http://www.aphl.org) for processing and examination. That facility will refer specimens to CDC if necessary.
- Figure 1 shows correct labeling and packaging of specimens (http://www.cdc.gov/od/ohs/biosfty/bmbl4/b4acf1.htm).
- If shipping a specimen, please refer to shipping regulations and guidelines at the following addresses:
- Guidelines for the Safe Transport of Infectious Substances and Diagnostic Specimens, (World Health Organization)
- The IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations, (International Air Transport Association) http://www.iata.org/ps/publications/dgr/Pages/index.aspx
- Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations, Parts 100-185. Hazardous Materials regulations (Department of Transportation) http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/regs
- Title 42 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 72. Interstate shipment of etiologic agents (Department of Health and Human Services) http://www.cdc.gov/od/ohs/biosfty/shipregs.htm
- Title 42 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 72.6. Additional requirements for facilities transferring or receiving select agents (Department of Health and Human Services) http://www.selectagents.gov/
- Biosafety in Microbiological and Biological and Biomedical Laboratories (CDC/NIH) http://www.cdc.gov/od/ohs/biosfty/bmbl/bmbl-1.htm
For additional information about shipping specimens, call the Division of Parasitic Diseases at (404) 718-4110.
DPDx is an education resource designed for health professionals and laboratory scientists. For an overview including prevention and control visit www.cdc.gov/parasites/.
- Page last reviewed: May 3, 2016
- Page last updated: November 15, 2016
- Content source: