As of 6/8/2022, the following additional tests are back online:
- CDC-10475: Chagas Disease Molecular Detection
- CDC-10238: Leishmania Species Identification
As of 2/24/2022, the following tests are back online:
- CDC-10458: Chagas Disease Serology
- CDC-10234: Parasites: Morphologic Identification
- CDC-10520: Malaria: Morphological Identification
Each test request (order) requires preapproval by the CDC Parasitic Diseases Branch. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request preapproval for your testing request. The preapproval for your request will include important details about current submission requirements and forms.
All other assays for serological, molecular, or characterization of parasitic diseases—and Trichomonas susceptibility testing—at CDC remain temporarily offline. We are working to restart additional testing as soon as possible for each test and will update this communication as soon as we are able.
CDC offers consultation to healthcare providers in the absence of diagnostic testing. Healthcare providers needing assistance with diagnosis or management of suspected cases of parasitic diseases may contact CDC’s Parasitic Diseases Hotline at (404) 718-4745, or e-mail email@example.com.
Please choose from one of the categories below.
- Preparation of blood smears [PDF, 77 KB]
- Staining for malaria parasites [PDF, 44 KB]
- Laboratory diagnosis of Plasmodium falciparum [PDF, 127 KB]
- Laboratory diagnosis of Plasmodium vivax [PDF, 166 KB]
- Laboratory diagnosis of Plasmodium ovale [PDF, 165 KB]
- Laboratory diagnosis of Plasmodium malariae [PDF, 149 KB]
- Calculating percent parasitemia and life cycle of Plasmodium species [PDF, 80 KB]
- Comparison of the Plasmodium Species Which Cause Human Malaria [PDF, 28 KB]
- Plasmodium spp. Blood Stage Parasites, Thick Blood Smears [PDF, 938 KB]
- Plasmodium spp. Blood Stage Parasites, Thin Blood Smears [PDF file: 512 KB]
- Planches pour le Diagnostic microscopique du paludisme [PDF file: 885 KB]
- Introduction and Characteristics of common human filarial parasites [PDF, 435 KB]
- Plate 1 — Wuchereria bancrofti, Loa loa [PDF, 352 KB]
- Plate 2 — Brugia malayi, Brugia timori [PDF, 467 KB]
- Plate 3 — Mansonella perstans, Mansonella ozzardi [PDF, 598 KB]
- Plate 4 — Techniques, artifacts, oddities [PDF, 545 KB]
- Plate 5 — Onchocerca volvulus, Mansonella streptocerca [PDF, 490 KB]
- Key Points for Laboratory Identification of Cyclospora sp., Cryptosporidium sp., and Cystoisospora belli [PDF, 109 KB]
- Key Points for Laboratory Diagnosis of Cyclosporiasis [PDF, 177 KB]
- Key Points for Laboratory Diagnosis of Cystoisosporiasis [PDF, 170 KB]
- Laboratory Diagnosis of Amebiasis [PDF, 131 KB]
- Laboratory Diagnosis of Blastocystis hominis infection [PDF, 72 KB]
- Laboratory Diagnosis of Cryptosporidiosis [PDF, 144 KB]
- Laboratory Diagnosis of Giardiasis [PDF, 93 KB]
DPDx is an educational resource designed for health professionals and laboratory scientists. For an overview including prevention, control, and treatment visit www.cdc.gov/parasites/.