Blood Specimens - Safety
Follow universal precautions for the prevention of bloodborne pathogens when working with human serum and other body fluids. These include:
- Wear personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, gloves, laboratory coats.
- If you have cuts or abrasions on the skin of your hands, cover them with adhesive dressing.
- Use needles and lancets only once, and dispose of them in a "sharps" container for decontamination.
- Remove gloves and wash your hands after completing any task involving the handling of biological material.
For more information on safety, visit the website of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to view biosafety guidelines or the website of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
DPDx is an education resource designed for health professionals and laboratory scientists. For an overview including prevention and control visit www.cdc.gov/parasites/.
- Page last reviewed: May 3, 2016
- Page last updated: November 9, 2016
- Content source:
- Maintained By: