Preparing for Proposal Submission
The Proposal Process outlines the primary steps leading up to the review committee decision. To access restricted data through the RDC, you must submit a proposal. We will assess your proposal using the following criteria:
- A well-defined research question that addresses a public health concern.
- Explanation of what restricted variables are needed to complete the project and why.
- The disclosure risk associated with:
- the requested restricted variables
- the requested mode of access
- analytic plan (this includes statistical methods)
On receipt of your proposal, the RDC Director assigns an RDC Analyst. The RDC Analyst is your primary contact for your time in the RDC. At any time, if you have questions, please contact your RDC Analyst.
NCHS RDC Analyst
- Facilitates review of your proposal
- Creates your analytic data set
- Accepts payment
- Accepts your NCHS Confidentiality requirements
- Transfers your dataset to Census
- Reviews your output for disclosure risk
The Proposal Process
Step 1: Determine a need for restricted data. Restricted Data
Step 2: Determine a preferred mode of access. Mode of Access
Step 3: Draft your research proposal. The Proposal
Step 4: Submit your proposal (using the Proposal Format, include page numbers) as one document to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Step 5: Wait for comments from the review committee and respond quickly to expedite review. Review Committee
Step 6: Update your proposal when there are changes. Amendment Procedures
- Page last reviewed: December 16, 2015
- Page last updated: December 16, 2015
- Content source: