The RDC offers four ways to access restricted NCHS data. Researchers can use one mode or a combination of access modes. Please see below for details and differences between the modes. When planning your research, you should be flexible in your mode of access. If you are bound to a specific mode of access, you should contact the RDC before submitting your proposal to determine if your project is feasible. Please note, there are times when we will not be able to make a determination without the submission of a full proposal. If you wish to access hosted data, please see which modes are available for that data system.
What mode of access is best for you?
- Which statistical analysis package do you plan to use?
- If you use SAS and Sudaan, you can use any access mode.
- If you use Stata, SPSS, R, or other package, you must go to an NCHS RDC or a Census RDC.
- If you want to use the remote access system, you need to use SAS/SUDAAN.
- Does your chosen mode of access support the NCHS survey you are using?
- Are any of the on-site centers located near you?
- Is your institution one of the Census RDC member institutions?
- What procedures do you need to use?
- It is recommended, if possible, that remote access users come on-site before accessing the data remotely. In addition to providing an opportunity to see the data and perform data management, this also allows the use of additional software and procedures not available through the remote access system.
- If on-site is not a possibility, a combination of staff-assisted and remote access may help.
|NCHS Survey||On Site||Census||Remote (ANDRE)||Staff Assisted|
|National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES)||•||•||•||•|
| National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NAMCS) and
National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey(NHAMCS)
|National Hospital Discharge Survey (NHDS)||•||•||•||•|
| National Nursing Home Survey (NNHS) and
National Nursing Assistant Survey (NNAS)
| National Home and Hospice Care Survey (NHHCS) and
National Home Health Aide Survey (NHHAS)
|National Survey of Residential Care Facilities (NSRCF)||•||•||•||•|
|National Health Interview Survey (NHIS)||•||•||•||•|
|National Survey of Family Growth (NSFG)||•||•||•||•|
|National Survey of Children's Health (NSCH)||•||•||•||•|
| National Survey of Children with Special Health Care
|Linked Mortality Data Products||•||•||•||•|
|Linked Medicare Enrollment and Claims Files Data||•||•||
|Linked End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Data||•||•||
|Linked Social Security Benefit History Data||•||•||
|Linked Air Quality Data||•||•||
|National Maternal and Infant Health Survey||•||•||•||•|
This table is subject to change.