The RDC offers four ways to access restricted NCHS data. Researchers can use one mode or a combination of access modes. Please see below for details and differences between the modes. If you wish to access hosted data, please see which modes are available for that data system.
What mode of access is best for you?
- Which statistical analysis package do you plan to use?
- If you use SAS and Sudaan, you can use any access mode.
- If you use Stata, SPSS, R, or other package, you must go to an NCHS RDC or a Census RDC.
- If you want to use the remote access system, you need to use SAS/SUDAAN.
- It is recommended, if possible, that remote access users come on-site before accessing the data remotely. In addition to providing an opportunity to see the data and perform data management, this also allows the use of additional software and procedures not available through the remote access system.
- If on-site is not a possibility, a combination of staff-assisted and remote access may help.