Federal Statistical RDC
The Federal Statistical Research Data Center (FSRDC) are managed by the United States Census Bureau. The Census Bureau and the National Center for Health Statistics have agreed to make most NCHS restricted data available to approved researchers through the Federal Statistical Research Data Center network.
The US Census Bureau manages several sites throughout the United States:
During the process, you will interact with your assigned NCHS RDC Analyst as well as the FSRDC Administrator. It is important to remember the NCHS RDC Analyst and FSRDC Administrators have their own roles and responsibilities.
- Facilitates review of your proposal
- Creates your analytic data set
- Accepts NCHS payment
- Accepts your NCHS Confidentiality requirements
- Transfers your dataset to Census
- Reviews your output for disclosure risk
- At any time, if you have questions, please contact your NCHS RDC Analyst.
- Answer logistical questions about the FSRDC such as, statistical software availability, and Census Fees
- Ensure you have completed all the Census Bureau Security requirements
- Accepts Census payments
- Census transfers your output to NCHS for a review
Researchers interested in accessing NCHS data through a Federal Statistical RDC must submit their proposals directly to NCHS. Researchers must fulfill all requirements the Census Bureau imposes to protect the security and confidentiality of the data. Please contact the FSRDC you intend to use for additional information.
In addition, to the NCHS requirements outlined by your RDC Analyst, the following steps should occur after you receive an approval email from your RDC Analyst:
- Complete Census Bureau access requirements including obtaining Special Sworn Status (SSS).
- Inform your RDC Analyst once your SSS is approved and when your Census account has been created. It is important to keep your RDC Analyst aware of where you are in the process.
- When all NCHS and FSRDC requirements are completed, the RDC Analyst will transfer your data to Census.
- Contact your FSRDC Administrator to schedule your time in the lab. You are only authorized to use the lab when a FSRDC Administrator is present.
- Email your statistical programming code and reference documentation (codebooks, statistical reference materials, etc.) to your RDC Analyst. You cannot bring hardcopies or books into the FSRDC. All materials related to your project must be reviewed by a RDC Analyst. Do not ask your FSRDC administrator to review handouts, notes, or output.
While working at a FSRDC you are subject to all the same rules and restrictions as NCHS on site users in addition to following rule(s):
- You must send your RDC Analyst an email requesting output review. Please allow three weeks to receive your approved output.