Help and Resources
What is your role in preventing opioid-related overdoses?
Do you know what you can do to help?
- Learn more about opioids so you can help people who are most at risk for opioid use disorder and overdose in your community.
- Provide tools and information for healthcare professionals working on overdose prevention and treatment.
- Help those struggling with opioid use disorder find the right care and treatment.
- Increase awareness and share best practices with providers and patients in your community.
As a patient, a healthcare provider, or a member of a community you can ensure that the best information is being shared and understood to prevent overdose deaths.
- Pregnancy and Opioid Pain Medications
- Women who take prescription opioids should be aware of the possible risks during pregnancy.
- Guidelines Patient Poster: Manage Your Pain, Minimize Your Risk
- JAMA Patient Page: Opioids for Chronic Painexternal icon
Find Substance Abuse Treatment
If you or someone close to you needs help for a substance use disorder, talk to your doctor or call SAMHSA’s National Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP or go to SAMHSA’s Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locatorexternal icon.
- Local Health Centers for substance abuse servicesexternal icon
- Buprenorphine Treatment Practitioner Locatorexternal icon
- Opioid Treatment Program Directory by state, providing methadoneexternal icon
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)external icon combines behavioral therapy and medications to treat substance use disorders.
- Handbook: Decisions in Recovery: Treatment for Opioid Use Disorderexternal icon
If you have questions about any medicines, call the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Poison Help Hotline at 1-800-222-1222.
Support for Patients, Family & Friends
- Managing chronic pain with or in recovery (SAMHSA)external icon
- Facts and Recommendations for Individuals and Familiesexternal icon
- Facts and Recommendations for Communitiesexternal icon
- Facts and Recommendations for State, Local, and Tribal Governmentsexternal icon
- Mental Health and Addiction Insurance Helpexternal icon