National Post-acute and Long-term Care Study
The National Study of Long-Term Care Providers (NSLTCP) is now called the National Post-acute and Long-term Care Study (NPALS). This new name reflects the addition of more post-acute sectors (i.e. inpatient rehabilitation facilities and long-term care hospitals), while keeping the same sectors that have been in the study since it launched in 2012 (adult day services centers, assisted living and similar residential care communities, home health agencies, hospices, and nursing homes). The information NCHS plans to collect about adult day services centers and participants and residential care communities and residents will not change. Please contact us at email@example.com with your questions about this exciting change.
NPALS monitors trends in the supply, provision, and use of the major sectors of paid, regulated long-term care services. NPALS uses survey data on the residential care community and adult day services sectors, and administrative data on the home health, nursing home, hospice, inpatient rehabilitation, and long-term care hospital sectors. The vision for NPALS is to offer reliable, accurate, relevant and timely national and state statistical information to support and inform post-acute and long-term care services policy, research and practice.
- UPDATED: Biennial Overview of Post-acute and Long-term Care in the United States: Data from the 2020 National Post-acute and Long-term Care Study (10/2023)
- Biennial Overview of Post-acute and Long-term Care in the United States: Data from the 2020 National Post-acute and Long-term Care Study (6/2023)
- End-Of-Life Care Planning and Bereavement Practices Among Adult Day Services Centers, 2018 (3/2023)
- Variation in Residential Care Community Resident Characteristics, by Size of Community: United States, 2020 (12/2022)
- Variation in Adult Day Services Center Participant Characteristics by Center Ownership: United States, 2020 (12/2022)
- State estimates and standard errors for NCHS Data Brief No. 453: Variation in Adult Day Services Center Participant Characteristics, by Center Ownership: United States, 2020 [PDF – 287 KB] (12/2022)