Viral Hepatitis News Media Resources
Hepatitis C now heavily impacting multiple generations – April 9, 2020
Data emphasize importance of new CDC hepatitis C screening recommendations for all adults
CDC Estimates Nearly 2.4 Million Americans Living with Hepatitis C – November 6, 2018
Nearly 2.4 million Americans – 1 percent of the adult population – were living with hepatitis C from 2013 through 2016, according to new CDC estimates. Data highlight urgent need to diagnose and cure more Americans and address rising infections due to opioid crisis.
- CDC’s new hepatitis C screening recommendations call for:
- One-time screening for all adults 18 years and older
- Screening of all pregnant women during every pregnancy
- Testing for all persons with risk factors, with testing continued for those with ongoing risk
- Since March 2017, CDC has been assisting multiple state and local health departments with hepatitis A outbreaks, spread through person-to-person contact.
Carolyn Wester, MD, MPH
Director, Division of Viral Hepatitis
View Dr. Wester’s full bio