Preparing for Wildfires
Know your community’s evacuation plans.
- Find several ways to leave your area.
- Drive the evacuation routes and find shelter locations.
- Have a plan for petsexternal icon and livestockexternal icon.
Gather emergency supplies, such as respiratorspdf iconexternal icon [PDF-329 KB].
Plan to keep wildfire smoke outside.
- Choose a roomexternal icon you can close off from outside air.
- Set up a portable air cleaner or a filterexternal icon to keep the air in this room cleaner even when it’s smoky outdoors or in the rest of your home.
- Make a plan to keep wildfire smoke out of schools or commercial buildingsexternal icon.
Keep track of fires near you so you can be ready.
- AirNow’s “Fires: Current Conditions pageexternal icon” has a map of fires throughout North America.
- NOAA’s “Fire weather outlookexternal icon” page maps fire watches and warnings.
- Listen to the Emergency Alert System (EAS) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Weather Radio for emergency alerts.