Preparing for Wildfires
Know your community’s evacuation plans.
- Find several ways to leave your area.
- Drive the evacuation routes and find shelter locations.
- Have a plan for pets and livestock.
Gather emergency supplies, such as respirators [PDF-329 KB].
- A respirator filters out smoke or ash before you can breathe it in. Children ages 2 years and older can wear respirators and masks. However, NIOSH Approved respirators do not come in suitable sizes for very young children.
- Remember the needs of children; individuals with medical conditions like asthma, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), or heart disease; or who are pregnant.
Plan to keep wildfire smoke outside.
- Choose a room you can close off from outside air.
- Set up a portable air cleaner or a filter to keep the air in this room cleaner even when it’s smoky outdoors or in the rest of your home.
- Make a plan to keep wildfire smoke out of schools or commercial buildings.