Heat-related deaths and illnesses are preventable. Despite this fact, approximately 1,220 people in the United States are killed by extreme heat every year. This website provides helpful tips, information, and resources to help you stay safe in the extreme heat this summer. Learn more about extreme heat.
Hot Weather Tips
Check out our safety tips to help you stay cool, stay hydrated, and stay informed this summer.
Signs of Heat-Related Illness
Heat-related illnesses are preventable. Learn the symptoms and what to do if you or a loved one shows signs of having a heat-related illness.
Protecting Disproportionately Affected Populations from Extreme Heat
- Climate-Ready States and Cities Initiative (CRSCI) Extreme Heat Adaptation StoryMap
- Climate Change and Extreme Heat: What You Can Do to Prepare [PDF- 8.64 MB]
- Environmental Public Health Tracking – Heat Stress Illness
- Extreme Heat Bibliography
- Heat Stress in the Workplace (NIOSH)
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports (MMWR)
- National Integrated Heat Health Information System (NIHHIS)
- Preparing for and Responding to Extreme Heat and Cold Events
- Temperature Extremes- Climate and Health