Safety Information for Response and Cleanup Workers
If you’re working as a response or cleanup worker after a hurricane, here’s information to help you prepare and stay safe.
- Health Information for Disaster Relief Volunteers
Find information about how to volunteer, prepare, and stay safe.
- Health Recommendations for Relief Workers
Get tips to help you stay healthy when traveling to disasters overseas.
- Immunization Recommendations for Disaster Responders
Find advice on vaccines you might need before you arrive at a disaster site.
- Protective Equipment for Workers in Hurricane Flood Response
Get information from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health on personal protective equipment (PPE) and worker safety.
- Storm/Flood and Hurricane/Typhoon Response
Check out this resource page for emergency response, including information on cleanup, disaster site management, and medical risks.
- Emergency Response Resource for Workers
Find safety information for emergency responders working after natural disasters like tornados, earthquakes, tsunamis, floods, hurricanes, and wild fires.
- Electrical Safety and Generators
Get tips on preventing injuries from portable generators.
- Worker Safety in a Power Outage
Find information about preventing electrocutions and avoiding dangerous backfeed
Preventing and Treating Illness and Disease
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After a Disaster
Find resources about carbon monoxide poisoning
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Flyers and Other Educational Materials
Browse fact sheets and flyers about carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Updated U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for the Management of Occupational Exposures to HBV, HCV, and HIV and Recommendations for Postexposure Prophylaxis
Check out this report on protecting yourself from disease while on the job.
- MMWR: Mold Prevention Strategies and Possible Health Effects in the Aftermath of Hurricanes and Major Floods
Read this comprehensive report on health risks from mold and remediation.
- Interim Health Recommendations for Workers who Handle Human Remains After a Disaster
Get advice on protecting yourself from disease during contact with human remains.
- Management of Dead Bodies in Disaster Situationsexternal icon
Consult a manual from the Pan American Health Organization for specialists and authorities managing disaster sites.
- Preventing Chain Saw Injuries During Tree Removal After a Disaster
Learn how to prevent injuries during tree removal after an emergency.
- Resuming Safe Operation of Building Water Systems – Risk of Legionnaires’ Disease
Get information for building managers and engineers about preventing Legionnaires’ disease.
- Cleaning Flood-Contaminated HVAC Systems
Find information for building owners and managers about cleaning HVAC systems after a flood.
- Hurricane Recovery Assistanceexternal icon
Get facts from the Department of Labor about recovering after a hurricane.