Health and Economic Costs of Chronic Diseases
Chronic diseases have significant health and economic costs in the United States. Preventing chronic diseases, or managing symptoms when prevention is not possible, can reduce these costs.
1. Buttorff C, Ruder T, Bauman M. Multiple Chronic Conditions in the United States [PDF – 392 KB]. Santa Monica, CA: Rand Corp.; 2017.
2. Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services. National Health Expenditure Data for 2016—Highlights [PDF – 74 KB].
4. National Cancer Institute. Cancer Prevalence and Cost of Care Projections. Accessed June 29, 2018.
5. American Diabetes Association. Economic Costs of Diabetes in the U.S. in 2017. Diabetes Care 2018;41(5):917-928. PubMed abstract.
6. Finkelstein EA, Trogdon JG, Cohen JW, Dietz W. Annual medical spending attributable to obesity: payer- and service-specific estimates. Health Aff 2009;28(5):w822-31. PubMed abstract.
7. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Cost of Arthritis in US Adults. Accessed June 29, 2018.
9. Begley CE, Durgin TL. The direct cost of epilepsy in the United States: a systematic review of estimates. Epilepsia 2015;56:1376–87. PubMed abstract.
10. Righolt AJ, Jevdjevic M, Marcenes W Listl S. Global-, regional-, and country-level economic impacts of dental diseases. J Dent Res 2018; 97(5):501-507. PubMed abstract.
11. Naavaal S, Kelekar U. Hours lost due to planned and unplanned dental visits among US adults. Health Behav Policy Rev 2018; 5(2):66-73.
12. The Health Consequences of Smoking—50 Years of Progress: A Report of the Surgeon General[PDF – 36 MB]. Atlanta, GA: US Dept. of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2014. Accessed June 29, 2018.
13. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Step It Up! The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Promote Walking and Walkable Communities. Washington, DC: Office of the Surgeon General; 2015.
14. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Alcohol-Related Disease Impact (ARDI). Atlanta, GA: CDC.
15. Stahre M, Roeber J, Kanny D, Brewer RD, Zhang X. Contribution of excessive alcohol consumption to deaths and years of potential life lost in the United States. Prev Chronic Dis 2014;11:130293.
16. Kanny D, Naimi TS, Liu Y, Lu H, Brewer RD. Annual Total Binge Drinks Consumed by U.S. Adults, 2015. Am J Prev Med. 2018;54(4):486-496. PubMed abstract.
- Page last reviewed: February 11, 2019, 12:00 AM
- Page last updated: February 11, 2019
- Content source: